• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prandtl

while i was at an hardware depot, i stumble on a pump that is sale for water-garden and i was wondering if it could do the trick for water cooling. It is a Little Giant's pump and you could see the spec sheet here or in short : max head 4 feet, 120gph at 1 foot head, 8W power consumption and its cheap 26$CAN. So, what you guys think about it?

Last edited:
That pump probably will not fit the bill. 120gph is fairly weak considering all of the head loss generated by the tubing and water block.

For that same $26 you could obtain a rio or via pump with an output of about 250+ gph by mail order.

Power consumption looks good low pump heat!

not for 26 bucks...
he said 26 canadian dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and viaaquas go for like.. 50cad........ or more...... shipping and such..

i think 120gph is good enough for 1 low resistence block......

yeah, if you're gonna go with a single block setup it should be fine. just make sure to use the same size of tubing that the pump comes fitted for. try and be as unrestrictive as possible with your setup and you should be just fine.

For that price you couldn't beat it. According to the spect. sheet it's very small and would be easy to set in a 4"x4"x4" junction box, being it's submersable only. As long as you keep the circuit short, free of 90°s, and use a high flow block you'll be just fine.

i had in mind to start with a one block setting for now anyway. but what will be a low resistance block?? I have access to a machine shop (i used to work there), but i have no idea what a good block could be. At first i had in mind to make a block similar to Cathar's famous White Water, but that is certainly not a low resistance wb and besides its His design not mine. So what should i make myself?? Would a maze like wb be better (with 3mm width channel)??

bigben2k said:
A fellow Montrealer!

Actually, Cathar's block is less restrictive than the Maze 3...

The White Water is more restrictive than a Maze 3. Figure on 10-15% lower volumetric flow rates with the White Water than the Maze 3 given any particular pump in a system.

Liss said:
it says that your from texas :(
I'm an ex-Montrealer, from the West Island. Moved to TX 2 1/2 years ago.

I stand corrected! WW WAS less restrictive, before the nozzle mod.

Bonjour fellow Montrealer,
ok so what a bout straight channel like on Cathar's ww, but with wider channel (3mm). I know this wont be the most effective block ever, but will certainly be good to get me started, no?

Also, to increase turbulence i was thinking of adding 2 wire perpendicular to each other on the cross section of the inlet tube, anyone has tried that?

I've got a little giant 170GPH in a 4x4x4 electrical box.......I've had it running for over 4 months now with over 8 feet of head!!!Flow isnt what i'd like, but it still manages to keep event he most aggresive overclocking heats below 45........so i'd say if price is concern.....go for it.

I've got some pics of the setup if you'd like to see them.....

Prandtl said:
Bonjour fellow Montrealer,
ok so what a bout straight channel like on Cathar's ww, but with wider channel (3mm). I know this wont be the most effective block ever, but will certainly be good to get me started, no?

Also, to increase turbulence i was thinking of adding 2 wire perpendicular to each other on the cross section of the inlet tube, anyone has tried that?
Bonjour indeed!

Wider is fine, but what's important is the proportion of channel versus fin. Cathar went with a 1:1 ratio, but calculated that 1:1.5 would be better. That's what I'm using in Radius.

So if you want to make your channels 3mm wide, then your fins should be 3.0 to 4.5 mm wide.

As for the wire/crosshair, I don't see the purpose, explain?

well, i'm actually studying in mechanical engineering and during the last semester i had a course on "Heat and mass transfert" and everytime we were (or the author of the book i was using) to make the assumptions of turbulent flow we were to put some turbulent making device at the beginning of the flow and one of these device was a wire.
here is a pic that show a flow over a cylinder (or wire) effect:
Copyxofxcylindar2.jpg

it works best for a plate because the velocity boundary layer is very thin at the begining, so the wire is inducing turbulence all over it! That is why i'm not sure if it would do any good for a tube!

Prandtl said:
well, yea i'd like to see it, if that is not too much work! is it that pump you are refering to?

here are some, I havent got the best digi cam around.....but you can get a general idea

fcc528f7.jpg

fcc528f8.jpg

That is close to the pump i have, only my pump is submersible only.....no inline option

Prandtl said:
well, i'm actually studying in mechanical engineering and during the last semester i had a course on "Heat and mass transfert" and everytime we were (or the author of the book i was using) to make the assumptions of turbulent flow we were to put some turbulent making device at the beginning of the flow and one of these device was a wire.
here is a pic that show a flow over a cylinder (or wire) effect:
Copyxofxcylindar2.jpg

it works best for a plate because the velocity boundary layer is very thin at the begining, so the wire is inducing turbulence all over it! That is why i'm not sure if it would do any good for a tube!
Nice idea, but look at the scale of it, and think about the flow restriction. Check your PM.

Back