Cornelius, NC

Backing up hard drive to CD-R?

Anyone doing this? What are you using and how do you like it? Having some problems with Nortan Ghost 7.5 atm.

Red Raccoon Dojo ThePerfectCore's Avatar
    I use Nero, and I do it manually. All of my MP3s on one set of discs, all of my movies and *ahem* software on another set, and everything My Documents/Trillian/Savegame related on yet another set of discs.

I don't have them encrypted by some wacky backup software, so I can easily access whatever I need by any machine that can read the CDFS file system. Unless it's a huge 380GB setup and you're pressed for time, I'd advise against using programs like Ghost.

Cornelius, NC
    But Ghost will allow you to image just the file system and data but I'm getting some errors that I posted in here. I tried with Nero and it needed to backup all available space on the 40 GB partition...61 disks!

Sacramento, CA
    When I am backing up selected items, like how ThePerfectCore stated, I use the Windows Backup, then burn the backup file onto a CD. That adds the ability to restore the file system, directories, and files exactly how they were previously. However, this still limits you to a backup file of 700MB or smaller (I use DVDs, so I get 4.7GB).

I've never used Nero, but I have used Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum to do backups (Now I use Nero for ALL burning) and it allowed me to specify what I wanted backed up. I wouldn't imagine Nero to have a much different setup than ECDC.

Actually, I just tried doing it on Nero and it actually doesn't let you do that, just an entire Partition. I think what ThePerfectCore may being doing is just dragging/dropping files onto a data disc compilation. I would just try to use the Windows Backup utility and keep the backup file size small enough to put it on a cd.

Sparkomatic Moderator
    10 Year Badge
    Medford, Orygun
    Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Not a highjack but related...

Can you restore backups to a differant partition and in effect clone the installation?
    .....................................My HeatwareMyFAH Stats
    ......................."Folding is a marathon, not a sprint." audioaficionado
    Super Micro X8DTH-iF, dual Westmere Xeons E5620 @2.4GHz >2xGPU3 FAH 24/7
    Asus Commando, 8GB GSkill PC6400, Q6600 @3.0GHz
    Iwill DH800, 2GB OCZ PC-3200, Dual 2.4 Prestonia M0 Xeons 1.5v/880/3300
    Micronics W6-Lightning, 288Mb Crucial ECC EDO, Dual Pentium Pro @200MHz
    Help improve! Get involved!

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
    "Don't let what you can't do interfere with what you can do." Coach John Wooden

.........................Folding User Stats