• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

any reason to get Ti 4800?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cruc1fy

I'm looking at replacing the card in my gaming system. I was originally waiting for the NV30, but now I'm thinking I'll just get a Gf4 Ti, convert it to a Quadro, and wait to see what comes of the NV30/R350/NV34/R400 battle.

So I guess my question is, is there any reason to go for the Ti4800? Has anyone seen benchies? I know that historically increasing the AGP bus doesn't help much, but you never know...

thanks

Which card is that, the Ti4600?

I haven't seen any benchies other then the Ti4200 w/ 8x AGP, but it was a tad bit (very very slim) slower then the 4x AGP card.

I'd go with which ever is cheaper. If your getting a GFFX then you'll have an 8x AGP card well before 8x AGP is utilized.

Yes, the Ti4800 is just the Ti4600 with 8X AGP and the funky thing is that the Ti4800E is the Ti4400 with 8X AGP. Looks like they are purposely trying to be deceiving.

and the sad thing is somebody busy one every day thinking they are getting the newest and best! because they don't know any better. they see the ti-4800 and think it's a next generation card! i think it is a ploy to get rid of the g4 chipset!:D because once fx hits the g-4 prices will drop like a rock!

nealric said:
just a gimmick untill nvidia releases the fx.

How do u figure that? 8x AGP has nothing to do with nVidia or ATi...it all has to do with the game developers and how far they want to push todays cards.

nealric means that selling the same card with 8x support under a newer "faster" name (4800) is just a marketing gimmick to keep people buying nVidia products until the FX comes out.

Historically each new AGP specification has initially provided very little benefit in the first few implementations. Since most mainboards probably don't have 8x AGP implemented very well, and CPU's aren't quite fast enough for the AGP bus to be the limiting factor, you probably would not see much benefit from a Ti4800/8x AGP mobo right now.

Definitely wait..... a Ti4800, if you're justifiably upgrading right now (like from a Geforce 2 card or older) might make sense if you plan to use that card long into the future but if you're running anything newer than a GF2, you upgrade frequently enough that you should probably just sit this round out.

I thought the ti4800 was clocked higher, like 325/700

ti4200=250/500(like 5% faster than gf3 ti500)
ti4400=275/550
ti4600=300/650
ti4800=325/700!

The two or three artciles I read said the Ti4800 was the same as the Ti4600 except it has 8X support. Please post a link if you found any different information.

well as of yet, there really almost isn't any use for agp slots with 8x since there is no need for the extra bandwidth. games won't need all that bandwidth for some time, or at least until the graphics get more intense... right now it may seem like a gimmick, but it will actually be worth it in the future. just imagine if we all had video cards running on the pci bus... they'd still be a bit slower...

Back