• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How sensitive are the Pentuim 3 450's to heat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angry

Sys Specs:
AOpen AX6BC Bx440 slot 1 Board.
Pentuim 3 450mhz (4.5x100)
3x128 (384) PC100 -goes high as long as CAS 3 is used- (will get some PC150)
Geforce 2 MX 200 PCI
WinXP Pro

The bios on this board has no Vcore adjustment...FSB adjustment is like 117,124, and 129, no adjustmnet in single increments. (May try CPU FSB)

Right now its at 558(124x4.5) Stable.
580mhz (129FSB) loads WinXP and lets me play GTA3 for a like 5mins and then it bluescreens.
I went ahead and tried 133mhz, it posts as a P3 600b but Bluescreens when it trys to load Windows.

Im new to Intel and Until I get a Slot 1 adapter for tualie CPU's...I would like to get the most out of this CPU.

Also How do I get the stock intel heatsink off? I got the fan off and Im using a large case fan on it...But I can bet like anything else, stock sucks for overclocking.

heat is always good to get rid of.
Less heat=more stable
odds are you wont get getting any more out of that CPU than you already have... a little better cooling may get you 129...
or you may need to volt mod that CPU, and slot 1 CPU's are a pain to volt mod, so not really worth the effort if you are about to get a new CPU anyways

as for how to open a P3
http://www.overclockers.com/tips33/

oh you also may want to turn off you L2 cache (testing only) and see if you can get 129 and 133 stable. As the L2 for that CPU is on seperate chips and offten holds you back. So if you can hit a higher speed with you L2 off, you may want to think about adding some cooling to your L2 cahce

Thought the Cache might be a problem like it is on Slot A Athlon Classics....

Im still interested in V modding the CPU....I mean worth a try...SO if you have a link for it that would be great...

Ill try the L2 cache off and see how it goes...

With the L2 cache disabled, you might get a little more clock speed out of it, but the performance hit ain't worth it. There is an article on the front page about how to remove the slot one heatsinks. Those old P-III 450s could handle more heat than the newer Coppermines.

Yeah I know what disableing the L2 does and costs, BUt I was just going to find out if they were my limiting factor, and if I can cool them enough to get a it more out of it...then sweet.

I just want to get the most out of this setup...(like my others)...

Laterz...

I would try to cool that thing a bit more and see what happens. If you dont have any fans on the heatsink, try adding some. Another thing too, your ram could be your limiting factor too for not getting through the boot process, it could be what is overheating too when running GTAIII for 5 minutes. I would try to find some PC133 ram for that just to rule it out before you go hacking that cpu apart trying to do a volt mod to it.

Angry said:
Thought the Cache might be a problem like it is on Slot A Athlon Classics....

Im still interested in V modding the CPU....I mean worth a try...SO if you have a link for it that would be great...

Ill try the L2 cache off and see how it goes...

So, you turn that L2 off yet? is that what is holding you back???

and as for the Vmod, how is your soldering skills? as some work on the back of the motherboard will be needed. I dont have a link for you, but i gota a datasheet from intel, and thats all i need :) so if your interested, a plan can be made up on the best plan for action.

It could also depend on the CPU. I have a P3 450 running great at 600 (133 bus) with the standard cooling. It will even go up to 621. This is at the standard voltage. You may just have a not so good 450.

Well guys I havent had a chance to try the L2 off yet...or anything for that matter except getting the stock intel heatsink off...Then I found out i lost my thermal paste..so..That and something happened last night that is making me wish school was closed today very badly.....(thats where Im at right now..and it sucks cause of 2hr delay and it screws up the schedule..and half of the techers today are substitues)....

Okay guys, I switched off teh heatsinks and put a bigger one on from a pentium2, (it gets the heatsink from the p3) I found a old tube of RadSHak thermal silicone paste, it had some in it so I stuck it on there..Well no go..Still not stable...

But I got curious...There are a few different versions of the my motherboard...

The AX6BC and AX6BC Pro look very similar...I was thinking, Could I flash the BIOS with one from the AX6BC Pro on my non-Pro board and get my voltage adjustments?

I will try this when I find away to copy my current BIOS to another BIOS-ROM ( I have several of these chips laying around)...

Because I want my voltage adjustments!!....Next off Im going to rearrange my room to put the mobo and proc back in front of my window and start my winter cooling project over like I did last year with a SLot A Athlon (lowest temp record was 6C..with AIR!)....Yikes gota go..School Bell!!....

if you know how to "HOT FLASH" it might be worth a try to get the "PRO" version. Odss of it working are iffy, but might be worth a try.

If you dont know how to "HOT FLASH" or even know what that is, i am all ears

slot1 heatsinks are easy to take off, lol the ones i got dont even have thermal paste :O

I used this method...the one jay posted earlier..works easy as pie. http://www.overclockers.com/tips33/

Originally Quoted by Skip...
"Recieved more than a few emails today about another method to remove the pins that hole the heatsink to the PIII cartridge. In this method, you take a case screw and lay it on a hard surface with the threads pointing up. Place the PIII over this screw with the screw hitting the pin where it comes through the plastic backing. You then push down on the CPU and the pins pop out all in one piece. You still have to remove the fan housing first, but using this method keeps the plastic pins in tact if you ever want to reinstall the factory heatsink. I have used this method before and it works most of the time. You can try either method and see what works for you."

Hot flash? Tell me how and Ill try it....

Guys I think I found why my FSB is well sucking so far...Last night I d/led the hardware monitor utility off the AOpen website for my board... Everything looks good. The idle temp was 14C (Little lower than what Im used to but then again..Im used to AMD...)

Then I notied my 3.3v line....its at 3.20? My Powersupply is a 300watt heroichi..sopposedly the same company that makes enermax PSU's. That and I know this powersupply can push up to 3.5v on the 3.3line, I voltmodded my Asus A7v-133 to get like 153 fsb from my ram..(before the board got struck by lighting.)
I seriously think 3.20 is too low...I have had the ram +pc133 speeds before (at least 2 sticks I know for sure...It's sopposed to be PC133 anyway.)

I really need those voltage adjustments....And I need to find a way to get my 3.3v line up to like 3.4v...(Im a bit greedy)...

Last edited:
Hmmm, you have a Katmai core P3 which isn't a very good overclocker and vcore adjustment aren't very beneficial so you aren't missing out on anything. They can handle alot of heat as mentioned. Mine ran at 600mhz stock cooler, no ventillation, no vcore adjustment.

Well guys i found the hot flash method, and I think I can ue it to fix another 440bx board that has no BIOs rom....(tried to get one for it but the company that made it is like way over in japan and they wanted some high price to ship it to me...also said it would take a month or 2...

If this hot flash method really works then I can really get to work on stuff....

Then Im getting me a BIOs savior...

Cant wait to get home and try this out...well wait..It will have to wait till tonight...(going to my g/f's first..shes the only thing that breaks mer from my computers...then again Im a geek so why wouldnt she?)...

This project isnt over yet...Laterz

Well shishcabob.....

Got home...and made the floppys for AX6BC, and AX6BC Pro bio's...I was going to first make a backup ROM useing the hotflash method which would have worked had 1 of the ROM's I had been compatable...It didnt recognize one ROM, the other 2 were the wrong size (as in 1 and 2m)...I need a 2 meg rom..all I have is 1m roms aparently.....Well fudge...This project is closed and is so is my winter cooling project as well ( and I had a good Idea!!)...at least for now....I cant get outside to get teh stuff I need to make my winter cooling project...cause theres like 5in of snow outside....and its below freezing....which would be good if i could only get the stuff...

Laterz Guys Im off to play GTA3 for the night...taking a break...(wish I didnt have to though!)....

if you have two working computers, you can flash your Current BIOS to the "Pro" BIOS on your system, and if that fails, flash that ROM back to the "no pro" version on the other computer. that way you already have a rom that is the correct size

All my other computers have OEM boards...BIOS chips soldered right into the board..but I have a friend who owns a comp store that may give me some...

Im going to take my comp to a freinds house with me tonight and me and him are going to work on this project...That and Im closer to teh comp store....

Ill start a new thread and later and let you guys know the results...

Back