• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's Your "Customized" WaterCooling Setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Currently:
Gemini Standard Flow Rev.2
Chevy LUV heater core
ViaAqua 1300
Homegrown plexi shroud
120mm Delta 130CFM on 7v-9v-12v rotobus
3/8" ID ClearFLex
all fittings are 3/8"

XP1600+@1805mhz/2200+ (190x9.5) 2.1v

Building new setup as we speak, so far:
WhiteWater
ChevyLUV core being modified by DodgeViper
plexi shroud for now, one of DV's brass ones soon
pump=undecided
1/2"ID MaterKleer tubing

BTW both setups are for a Lian Li PC-60, thats why I'm using the smaller heater core.

peace.
unloaded

About Black Ice's radiator, what's better and the difference between the Pro and Xtreme version?

Also, which series of Eheim's pump is really good?

How come it's so hard to find the White Water waterblocks anywhere?

fitting the pump in the 5.25 bay area is easy. And quite convenient. I like to keep my hdds running within cooling spec (unlike how they're run most of the time) so i made a little drive bay on the bottom of the case behind the intake so that air is always flowing over them. The pump is cooled by water so it doesn't matter where it's at, having it in the 5.25 bay keeps it closer to the cpu, making tubes shorter. My case is pretty big even for full tower cases so this is good. The heatercore is mounted over the psu to the back of the case (which is cut out to allow the entire surface of the heatercore airflow). This is far from the only optimal setup for my case...i've been thinking of better ways to use fewer fans (i now have 3 total in the case) with the loudest fan of course being the heatercore one. Perhaps that's because the case is against a big flat brick wall so the sound is all reflected back to the front. Anyways that's acoustic management, another thread.

maze3 (seriously, once you get to the top end of waterblocks, there is very little variation in performance)
maxi-jet 1200 (mmmm)
d-tek bought heatercore
home depot bought (hardcore reinforced tubes)

SpyderX said:
How come it's so hard to find the White Water waterblocks anywhere?

I make them as fast as I can, which is about 10-15 a week. Am currently in the USA so can't make any more until I get back to Australia in about a week's time. I'm not really a commercial entity, just a hobbyist who seems to have stepped into that role. If you want one, contact me, via PM or via email through my profile.

I assure you that the review that is coming next week will show that the block breaks the mould with respect to "most quality blocks performing about the same".

oh...you make White Water? I thought it was like a company that made them, like DTek or Swiftech, etc. I didn't know it was customized made.

Who would imagine a hobbist who makes it as a hobby make one of/the best waterblock out there.

One more thing, how come some people go for heatercores while others go for radiators? What's the difference?

D-Tek TC-4
D-Tek Heatercore
Comair Rotron 172mm fan
Submersible Eheim C-1000(260GPH)
Custom resevior
1/2" ClearFlex 60 tubing
All fittings 1/2", except the pump is 5/8"

Heatercores perform better in PC watercooling setups.

Last edited:
Hmmm, well I heard White Water is the best and Dtek would be right behind it in waterblocks, but when you get up there to the top quality products, do they make a difference seriously?

SpyderX said:
Hmmm, well I heard White Water is the best and Dtek would be right behind it in waterblocks, but when you get up there to the top quality products, do they make a difference seriously?

Depends on what you want to do. Water-cooling offers perhaps the quietest way to cool your CPU. If you're heavily into overclocking as far as you can, a Prometia or something of that nature is what you want, but they can be somewhat noisy.

If you want to overclock almost as far, but do it in quiet, then you want water-cooling. Now for overclocking, when it's the CPU that limiting you, lower temperatures usually means a better overclock. For a hot AMD CPU (TBred or Palomino), people are typically reporting 4-6C better with the White Water than anything else. 4-6C may mean nothing extra in terms of overclock, or it may mean 50MHz or even more extra. Each CPU responds differently so no promises can be made, but the statement can be made that knocking 4-6C off your temps will greatly increase your chance of a higher overclock. For Intel solutions I know of someone that moved from a Maze 3 to a White Water on their P4, and picked up 100MHz. Then I know someone who only picked up 40MHz making the same move. For AMD systems I've seen 10MHz to 80MHz gains reported depending on the individual system.

In the end, it's worth whatever value you place on the potential that it has to offer, and nothing more.

SpyderX said:
One more thing, how come some people go for heatercores while others go for radiators? What's the difference?

I think some talk as both being the same. Some call them RAD while other calls them heater cores. A heater core is from a vehicle heating system that many have used in their water-cooling adventures.

Technically a radiator is something that radiates heat. More technically with respect to water-cooling, it's more correct referred to as a water-air heat exchanger.

Car heater-cores just happen to be fairly efficient and somewhat conveniently sized water-air heat exchangers for computer water-cooling needs.

Whatever marketing terms that companies use to call their air-water heat-exchangers is somewhat meaningless. Radiator, heater-core, etc. They all do the same basic job.

Are there any review for the D-Tek waterblock and/or the White Water's waterblock? Tried searching on Ebay but nothing came up. Thanks

heatercores refer to the radiators with tanks on both ends, parallizing the water across flat tubes along the radiator with fins zigzagged in between them. Normal radiators refer to a single tube that just loops back and forth through fins. The difference between the two is quite significant. If you want to get picky, it's more significant than which top end waterblock you use.

and tbreds run cool compared to tbirds. Even the highest end tbred is cooler than the tbird 1.33Ghz cpu. Top end P4's get much much more hotter than amd cpus. It's just spread out over a slightly bigger surface area.

Oh...about the White Water, just wondering, why is there 3 holes (sorry, my termalogy sucks) when other waterblocks have 2?

SpyderX said:
Oh...about the White Water, just wondering, why is there 3 holes (sorry, my termalogy sucks) when other waterblocks have 2?

Take a look at the internal design and it should be obvious.

The water goes in the central barb and exits through the two outer barbs. A "Y" fitting comes with the block to connect the two outlet barbs to a single tube.

Back