• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what do you think of this p4 rambus comp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c0nfusion

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=220284

I'm just using newegg's wishlist to show the parts, I'm getting the parts elsewhere for a very good price (800 for that system) so im not really worried that the p4 costs more than an amd etc. I'm just wondering what you guys think of this comp. Overclockability? What kind of cooling devices would you recommend I get? BTW, that's not the case I'm getting. I'm just using it as reference, the one I am getting will have a 350w power supply also. Thanks.

That would probably oc fine. However, im not seeing the whole rambus thing. From a upgrade/price performance standpoint its just not a great deal (even if you were to get it half off)

I'm under the impression that a p4 2.4ghz+ and RAMBUS ram coupled together is able to outperform most AMD's. For the price I got, I don't think I'd get anything else. That's mainly because my supplier doesn't carry AMD's, but I'm still happy with the p4/rambus. Thanks for commenting though :D

Haha, I would if I could, but I don't wanna push him. I'm pretty sure he's only breaking even on the deal :p

I'm under the impression that a p4 2.4ghz+ and RAMBUS ram coupled together is able to outperform most AMD's.
I agree.

Although I'd be concerned about upgradeability. Rambus RAM may not be around much longer...especially after DDR-II hits the shelves.

If that's not a concern, yeah, go for it. Should be hella fast.

Going back to one of my questions, what kind of cooling would you guys recommend for this computer? I think to start it'll only have 2 fans in the back of the case and the heatsink that comes on the p4.

I think to start it'll only have 2 fans in the back of the case and the heatsink that comes on the p4.
should be fine...to start with :)

If you're overclocking, you know cooler is better. If you'll be running at stock speeds, the Intel retail hsf and one or two case fans is plenty.

OK sounds good, I don't think I'll need to overclock this for a while...not till eq2 comes out ;). By that time, some of the warranties will have run out, so i wont have to worry about voiding them, haha.

Doesn't BestBuy has a sale on a Maxtor 133 120GB HD from $150 to $100 after MIR. Ovrtsll, I'd say its a good system, if you want to spend that much.

I'm not spending that much. I was only using the newegg wishlist to show the parts. I paid 800 bucks for that system.

Oh. Heh. Your name does live up to its name! :) Not bad for $800. You got all of that retail or OEM?

I'm under the impression that a p4 2.4ghz+ and RAMBUS ram coupled together is able to outperform most AMD's.

Thats simply not true. Yes, a p4 running rambus will probably outperform a athlon on pc2100. However, it will not outperform one running pc3200 at 180fsb (like most ppl here run anyways). As far as proc alone: On most benchies, the an AMD of X PR rating will be slightly faster than the speed equvilant of intel.
This is not to say that intels are awufl and you should never buy them. Its just that you will not see a huge difference between the two.

Back