• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best board for TBred B with high mem scores

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yomama

I have been out of the loop for a while so pardon my ignorance: If I bought one of the new 2100++ TBreds from Newegg, what would be a good mobo?

More importtantly than an high CPU speed, I would like to achieve maximum possible memory throughput for a killer SETI cruncher. I am hoping for around 220MHz with Corsair PC3500 memory.

Is that feasible on any board that supports dual channel DDR or should I consider another avenue?

Thanks

Yo

nForce2 chipset based board has higher score in memory benchmark, especially if you overclock your CPU at higher FSB, such as 166MHZ or higer.

All kt400 mobos have 5:2:1 divisor but don't have 6:2:1 divisor, so on these boards you would have problems going higher then 180 FSB.

I disagree PLA...You see my sig...I was rock hard at 198 but I am upgrading to a nforce2. Yomama, ABIT may offer great bandwidth for mem, as they always do, but do a little more research. Also look into Ctech Zenith and Asus nforce2 board, oh and the 8rda+ from Epox. See which toots your fancy.

I'm torn between the following Nforce2 boards:
1) Abit NF7-S
Bad: No mounting holes for WB (to be fixed in next version, i think)
Good: Large voltage adjustments, lots of extras such as SATA and RAID
2) Asus A7N8X deluxe
Bad: Limited V-core, no chipset voltage adjustments
Good: Excellent OC's, lots of extras, much like the Abit.
3) Epox 8RDA+
Bad: No RAID, limited extras
Good: Good OC'er, cheap
4) Chaintech Zenith
Don't know much about it....

So, in your oppinion, which board is the best purchase? Also, feel free to correct me and add more info about the different boards!

Either the Epox or Chaintech are outstanding boards, though with the new Bios rev. of the Epox it is more stable and a touch faster. With that said, the Epox board (and all NForce2 boards for that matter) need a good chipset cooler to remain stable at high FSBs. The chaintech has a nice HSF, though I can't vouch for the performance. The one on the Epox is TERRIBLE, and the one on the Asus sucks nutz as well. I would recommend the Epox 8RDA+ with a $12 Vantec Copper Iceberg kit with the HSF on the northbridge and the large heatsink on the southbridge. It's about $50 less than the Chaintech, but still has Soundstorm audio and an NVidia NIC. If you want a bit of extra bandwidth, use twinned DDR sticks in the two blue RAM slots for DualDDR.

Back