• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Radeon 9500 driver install under RH 8.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gordon Airport

Registered
Right now it's running with vesa drivers even though I have it identified as a 9700. I found the drivers on ATI's site but the instalation is not going smooth. First, in my newbness, I'm not sure how to reliably boot up without X, which it says to do, and then get back to normal. I did get it to work by editing inittab, but it was a pain to get it back after the X configuration got messy (Just what is the command to start X or its configuration program? It was doing it automaticaly.)
Anyway, I was hoping that someone had a straight foreward way of going about this before I jumped back in and started screwing things up again, as didactic as that may be. I think it may involve compiling a kernel module...but I don't see where to install all that stuff....

Goto a command promt and type 'glxgears' (no quotes, of course). You should get a FPS in the thousands. If not, the drivers are either not installed or not working properly. From what you've said, I would say they are not working.

apt-get install drivername.rpm would (or something like that)

i gave a link of a really easy tutorial here a couple of weeks ago, if i find it soon i'll send it to you

Last edited:
Thanks alot. That is sooo nice, I like being able to see everthing that available with synaptic too. It looks like I had the firegl drivers installed correctly, they just don't support 3D acceleration for the 9500 apparantly :p. glgears was doing something like 300 FPS I think, certainly nothing in the thousands. Maybe if I gave it a 9700 BIOS...nah.

Back