• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temps are too high...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hc1001

ok heres my system p4 2.8 @ 3.15 vcore is set in bios 1.65
at idle the vcore is 1.712 and on load its around 1.6
temps at idle 33C and on load its 46C max, the room temp is 22C and the MB temp is 30C.

the water cooling is like this pump>rad>cpu>res>pump

i had a gpu WB on b4 and my load temps were around 50C max

id say the temps are really bad for my system....

heres what i got, maze3 coppertop, black ice pro/120mm panaflo L, eheim 1048, everything is 1/2" silicone tubing

any ideas???

I would try re-seating the block. Lap it if you haven't already, and check the IHS on your P4 for flatness.

yup, what he said, and consider adding a second fan to the radiator. the BIX is small to begin with, so dont expect stellar results with that radiator, but another fan should help a bit. is your current one shrouded? cause if its not, try that first

If you are using a shim try removing it and reseating the block as NeoMoses stated.. I found removing the shim on my system made a big difference in the temps afterwards..

ihs is flat....no the maze isnt lapped...but that shouldnt be teh problem...i suspect the rad to be the problem....i might buy two 120mm 25mm thickness fans, take off the panaflo and mount it on the rad...and im tight on space so a shroud wouldnt fit...im also using a lot of tubing because of the way my system is set up... heres a pic http://hc1001.homestead.com/files/pic1.JPG

I had almost the same setup as you before.....

Eheim 1048-> Black Ice Pro w/ Panaflo L1A -> Swiftech MCW5000

my temps with this setup was CPU @ 1.65 actual: 42C-44C Full LOad

I was really tight with space as well, I barely managed to fit the Black ICe Pro in my case. I asked around and my bottle neck was the radiator fan combo. I replaced my rad with a Black Ice Extreme, which is efectively double the performance, and also replaced my fan with an 86CFM Delta 120mm x 25mm. This new setup actually is like 10mm smallar (width-wise) than the BIP w/ Panaflo and i even had room to add a few rubber spacers b/w the rad and fan to make a mini-shroud. Performance now is amazing...

38C-40C Full LOad Prime95 1 hour plus it cools down to 33C much much faster...

Is it just me or is that rig wierd lookin?
Its like Pump ----> rad ----> WB ----> Res.
Shouldnt it be something in the line of
Pump ----> WB ----> rad ----> res ?
Im not sure but thats the way i figured it since the hot water from the CPU should be directly transfered to the rad for cooling.
And then when its cooled down into the res?
With the current setup the water in the RES should get hoter and hoter?

hc1001 said:
ihs is flat....no the maze isnt lapped...but that shouldnt be teh problem...
Don't be so sure that it is not PART of the problem. I have seen some terrible bases from ALL WB mfgs (except Swiftech). Lap that sucker flat. Could be a big diff.

nikhsub1 said:

Don't be so sure that it is not PART of the problem. I have seen some terrible bases from ALL WB mfgs (except Swiftech). Lap that sucker flat. Could be a big diff.

That makes me all giggly and stuff.
The part about swiftech i mean.. ;)
Got the confirmation on my order today..will be here friday.

wiz i had it that way when i first setup my WC...but that was because i also had a gpu cooler as well...the temps dropped 2C when i changed the order to rad to cpu to gpu to res to pump....

i never lapped a WB b4...i think i need wet/dry sandpaper 800 grit??? can i find this at the hardware store??? thx for the advice guys....

I have mine setup Pump/Res-->Rad-->WB-->Pump/Res.

This way the WB gets the coolest water possible in the the system first.

If it was Pump ----> WB ----> Rad ----> Res why would I want the res to have the cold water and then have the pump heat it up and send it to the WB then cool it down?

i agree that intuitively it should be pump->rad->wb, as this should remove the heat from the pump before going to the CPU, but I actually have significantly better results the other way.

my rig is pump->wb->rad->pump.

i've got an eheim 1046, fairly large heatercore (~ 220mm x 150mm x 50mm) and a cheap waterblock that i cant remember the name of... its copper and painted black... nothing special really.

my epox 8kha+ reports 38C full load (rc-72) and somewhere around 32C idle (but its never idle... so hard to call this one)

cheers!

Back