• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keep AMD or switch to Intel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would say go with AMD + nForce2 too.

I just build a system with Athlon XP 2100 B-stepping + Epox 8RDA+ board.
The CPU runs very stable at 2.38GHZ(195X12.5) with 1.75V air cool.
It actually is faster than P4 3GHZ System. Probably close to XP 3200-3300.

Some of benchmark here.

Super PI(1 million) 45 sec.
3DMark 2003 4895( with ATI 9700Pro)
3DMark 2001SE 16098

and, plus Nvidia MCP chip gives you top quality audio output, low CPU usage NIC.

For your XP1700, most of them can be run stable at 2.1-2.2 GHZ, some
of them run as high as 2.3-2.5GHZ.

I just dropped a C-note for an 8RDA+ (arrives Tuesday...) after months of considerations for my upgrade. Wanted an alternative to VIA, looked at K7S5A, but didnt like the memory limitations. Leaned toward MS-6561 with PC2700 support-- but it lacked 333 FSB.

Thought I would have to go with a KT333 or 400, but then took a good look at Nforce2. Liked what I saw. For me, Epox was the only way to go when considering overclocking. Would've liked S-ATA onboard, but I will have to settle for an add-on card (which i guess is ok-- gotta find some use for all those PCI slots...).

Really, any Nforce2 board will do fine. Go for the non-plus version to save about $15 if you want (as long as you invest it in cooling).

I like both AMD and intel, however the way things are looking right now I still put amd on top in terms of my preference when building a system and as far as a motherboard goes i would either go with teh a7n8x or the 8rda+.

i agree i just came from a p4 1.5 and it wasn't all that great...my friend running ati 8500 and XP2000 had 9100 3dmark and i had 9403 with a p4 and same ram and 1.7 o/c so i would agree athlons are the way to go especially for the price..

Back