• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keep AMD or switch to Intel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

avzay

I've been considering upgrading my computer. Currently its a t-bird 1ghz on Asus a7v133. I right now have a T-bred 1700+ sitting on my desk. I need a get a mobo for it. But right now i've been seriously considering geting a p4 instead....Should i or not?
Whats doyou people think? I am looking for stability and some overclockability.

lets say i decide to stay with amd...Which motherboard should i get? Looking for stability and overclockability. What would you recommend?

From real world, down n' dirty using computers, AMD wins everytime. A guy in my dorm has a nice P4 system, and It gives him trouble all the time. I'm not saying Intel is bad, but for the price AMD will take you a long ways. Although it is starting to even out.

Epox Nforce2 board, the 8RDA+. If i wanted a new board, I would get that.

Ive been debating the same thing. Next comp intel or amd. Ive read that the new intel845pe is much more stable than any via/amd/sis amd based chipset, but their cpu's are a bit slower. And from what ive had, ive always had problems with my via/amd761 based boards. I never had a problem with my old p2 233 or my k6 233, they ran more stable than the amd based boards nowadays. Maybe ive always had bad boards, but i dont think so. Abit kg-7, MSI kt266a, FIC kt133 and out of all of those, the FIC was the most stable sad to say :( I dont know, maybe it was my other hardware? Although its always been the better brands.

To me it's a no brainer... The new T-Bred "b" CPUs are excellent overclockers. A 2100 T-Bred "B" is roughly $100 and should give you a good 2.3 - 2.4 Gigs with good aircooling. Even some of the 1700 "B" chips are getting up there. Running an XP at 2.4 gigs will more than keep up with a 3 gig P4...

SpriTz said:
Ive been debating the same thing. Next comp intel or amd. Ive read that the new intel845pe is much more stable than any via/amd/sis amd based chipset, but their cpu's are a bit slower. And from what ive had, ive always had problems with my via/amd761 based boards. I never had a problem with my old p2 233 or my k6 233, they ran more stable than the amd based boards nowadays. Maybe ive always had bad boards, but i dont think so. Abit kg-7, MSI kt266a, FIC kt133 and out of all of those, the FIC was the most stable sad to say :( I dont know, maybe it was my other hardware? Although its always been the better brands.

go for an nforce2 based board instead of a via chipset board, better oc'ing options and they are stable.

I was thinking about the same thing, mainly because the P4 is the ONLY CPU I have never had, (seriously, I've tried every other PC CPU there is!). When I built my grandparents a P4 1.5Ghz system, I had a Tbird 1.2Ghz and thier P4 system blew mine outta the water for loads times and such (they had a GeForce2 MX so 3DMark compares were a little un-even). Ever since then I have thought about moving to Intel. I have resisted so far, (mainly because of price), but they are looking more and more appealing (don't have to worry about my CPU overheating, like my XP did).

I recommend you stay with amd.. get an epox 8rda+ with tbred "b" 2100+ and good mem... you will have a nice machine ;)

Well iano.. Ive got a 2400 on the way, gettin it for free so no biggie. Just deciding whether to sell it. If you all say nforce is more stable than the damn via, then ill stay amd.. Was gonna get corsair pc3200 xms..

AMD is really picking up lately. Tbred B's going to 2.5 GHz on air cooling?!? nForce2 providing a base for these super chips? C'mon now!

A few months ago I would have said that I like AMD, but Intel is winning the race, but now we're back in again and doing mad damage. 2.5 GHz AMD is like 3 GHZ+ P4.

To compare, I have the 3rd fastest SETI benchmark time with an XP at 2.3 GHz 200x115. I'm not even that far behind a P4 at 3.55 GHz! Wait till I get my AIUHB and get 2.5, I might take #1.

And yes, it's stable. It has to be to crunch SETI :)

--Illah

Is the KT400 as good as the nForce2 chipset? Also, what's different between the KT400 and the KT333?

Not a whole lot of difference that I can see between KT400 and 333... KT400 is a dissapointment in my eyes, but some people swear by it.

Far many more people swear by the nForce2 however, me being one of them. It's far and away better in my opinion.

--Illah

Nforce2 is not VIA, so no problems there. It has great overclocking options, of course (pci/agp locks) and you can get the Epox 8RDA+ or if you want to spend a little more the Asus A7N8X Deluxe Nforce 2 is very good.

Unless I have been sitting under a rock for the past lifetime, I believe that your new chip will work in the A7V-133 if the board revision is at least 1.05 and the bios is 1009. You may have to press reset to get it to boot properly though, it's just a little oddity that I've found with my A7V-133 boards. I currently have an A7V-333 and I'm happy, but Illah is right, the new N-force2 chipset boards are great right now.

AMD is the way to go currently. The 2100+ T-Bred AIUHB 0248's are doing great as 2.5 GHz seems to be the goal for everyone as they're eating 2.4 with ease. Did I also mention this chip is only 110.00? PCNut.com guarantees a 0248 AIUHB stepping.

The Epox 8RDA+ is a great board which is equipped with Dual DDR and other great overclocking features.

Things could not have looked better right now.

Go for it.

I just built a new system and chose the A7V133. Instead of changing motherboards just keep the old one and upgrade to a 2100. If you want to spend more money, buy a 2800. If your motherboard is older a bios upgrade should take care of that but check with the mnfctr. before you buy the chip. Hope this helps.

Back