• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

n00b Q's: which top for TC-4, how to get barbs on?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torchedlh

i'm most likely going to be getting a TC-4 for my first water cooling setup (ima n00b)... however i'm unsure of which one to get....poly topped or aluminum top. i'll be using a maxi-jet 900 and chevette heater core. people say to go with the aluminum top to avoid possible cracking from stress from barbs and tubes. but others say poly becuse it has no chance of having a "battery" effect. i will be using water wetter......so which top should i get?

and another quick q. what's the best way to get the 1/2" barbs on the chevette heatercore... i do'nt have access to a butane torch or watever. do i just use JB WELD?

i know this Q is asked 3769824985 times but i'll be using 1/2" barbs all around. should i use 1/2" or 3/8" tubing. only reason i ask is because i everyone asks what fittings AND barbs should they should use. i just need to know what size tubing for 1/2" barbs.

thanks

I think TC-4 alluminum tops are anodized, meaning the color coating they have will protect your system from the battery effect. I would advise against a polytop. Go with 1/2" tubing.

Unless you're really into doing the math on flow rates vs. cooling capactiy vs. head vs. etc., the size of tubing is really gonna have an insigificant impact on your watercooling system. In other words, if tube size is your only denominator, you can pretty much go with whatever suits your taste without worrying too much about how it will effect your system.

I would recommend using 1/2" tubing on 1/2" barbs. 3/8" PVC or Tygon tubing will fit over 1/2" barbs, but both will seal if you use barbs.

Go with the anodized aluminum top, you won't have problems with it. To get better performance, you should get a top like DodgeViper is using on his TC-4.

i guess i'm gonna have to go with the aluminum top. but damn that poly top on it looks badass. o well, function over form right? thanks for the advice.

If your worried about the heatercore, just buy one of the cores from Danny at DTEk. The cost comes out to the same as if you had the tools and made it urself....

Don't bother getting two shrouds and putting 2 fans on a core either, the performance gain goes into diminishing returns with the noise versus cooling. :D

The TC-4 is a good block, get the aluminum topped one. Some of the first TC-4's that were made had some trouble with cracking poly tops...(I had one of those, eventually soldered a copper top)

And as the pump goes..... do yourself a favor and get an eheim for your first pump. I recommend the eheim 1048 (152 GPH) .
You really don't want a noisy pump or one that leaks or vibrates the screws loose on your case ;).
Not that im trashing your beloved maxi maskedgeek :D

GL and make sure to check everything twice when you playin with water for the first time.

well i can get the chevette heater core for like $20. i'll just JB weld the barbs on.

i was looking into a comair rotron fan.. 6.75", 12v, 235cfm, and less than 50dba. i might not even need a shroud. however i'd rather make one than spend 15 bucks on one.

as for the pump..... i can't imagine myself paying almost 300% more for a "brand" name pump. i'm really on a budget and want to spend less than $150 for everything including a gf2 block.

and has anyone actually had any problem with the rev 2 TC-4 poly top? i mean if the top used to have a problem, and the waterblock was revised, i imagine the poly top was too. i really want the clear cuz they look sooooooooo nice. o well.

thanks for all the input, keep it coming.

Back