• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much $ 2 get started?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathONator

I'm considering gettings started in water-cooling. But I'm curious to know how much money you guys think I will have to dish out to get a setup going. Money is an object.

I have taken lathe and mill classes, so I could make a block and whatever else. I would just need to find a shop and posibly pay for the time I use the machines. Or I could just buy it all.

How do you guys suggest I do this? Get most of the stuff together on my own, then buy a pump and whatever else? How much money am I lookin at? I would like to be able to keep a 2400+ overclocked as high as possible at 35-44C load..

I don't need a GPU cooling right away but maybe would like to add one later.

I would like new. I would also like to keep it under $75.

Please recommend me a good but not expensive pump and radiator...

Last edited:
i havent really looked into recent US prices, but im sure you could get a system set pu for that price, but i would beleive it would be complete ballsm and you will not get the kind of results you are after, you get what you pay for, and it doesent really pay to go cheap;)

good luck,

Cheers, Turando

I'd go for a Maxi Jet. Great pump, and only $20 shipped (check ebay).

You can save money on the rad by not having one!! Just a large bucket will do, unless you object to having a bucket sitting outside your box. Cheapest I can see:

$5 bucket
$10 hosing, clamps, etc.
$20 MaxiJet
$40 for you to mill out a block!!

Ive seen really cheap blocks on ebay (like 20 bux shipped) - that would probably be just as cheap as millin your own (unless you have the materials/equipment lying around)

Pump- Ive seen bilge pumps for about 20bux- I got mine for free :D- Another place to look is ebay again- I got a senfu pump that was designed for ocing for 10bux shipped (it just didnt have enough power to pump my water 10 feet over 4- 18inch rises like i need it to)

rad- junkyard dlux- 20bux or so

res- make one outta plexi- (20 bux or so)

That works out to about $80 after hoses and clamps.

Do you really think it will be $40 for me to mill one?

Also, guessing, what do you think the temperature difference would be between a $100 WC set-up, $70-$80 WC set-up, and an SLK-800 ducted.

Of course there will also be noise difference but let's leave that out.

Check ALL your local auto parts stores:

I tried 3 locals, & found my
1987 Chevy Chevette Heater Core
for $20.17 out the door.

(ended up buying from PEP Boys, altho Auto Zone
quoted me cheaper-they wern't)

Good Luck.

I would like to keep the rad in my case, but I suppose I could find a way to keep it outside and still look ok, if I had to...I would probably mod one from a car...maybe to be smaller right? where do most people keep theirs? ontop of their case, next to it, or what?

Depends; I think most like to keep it inside if I'm not mistaken.

No, I don't think it would really cost you $40 to mill out a block, but you never know, right? I mean for $50 you could get the TC-4. Or you could always get 5 Arby's melts for $5...ummm.....chedder.....:D

I don't think you'll save any money making your own block, unless you are already setup for it. You'll haveta buy: machine time, prolly your own milling/tapping tools, metal stock, fittings, some type of hold down device, some type of sealing setup (gasket/o-ring/solder/sealant). As you can see, things will add up pretty quickly for trying to make a single cheap block. Thats all assuming you can make something that performs decently. Here's a list to get you in the ballpark:

waterblock(various brands)- $40
pump(maxijet or aquavia)- $20
heater core (chevette)- $20
120mm fan- $5
1/2" ID tubing(clearflex) $15
========================
Total $100

You will still need a few fittings, hose clamps and maybe make your own shroud for fan. Also some of the prices above can be reduced a bit by purchasing used items or trading. You could also skimp on some parts-cheap tubing, smaller pump or water block. If you do skimp tho, I'm sure you will be upgrading soon. You would be better off saving for a bit longer and buy good stuff the first time around.

peace.
unloaded

Yeah, I'm starting to think it might not be worth it either. Even though I could maybe get the instructor at the community college to let me use all their equiment for free (if it's the same guy). I dunno, if the instructor is willing, maybe I could just draw it up on cad/cam and run it. Jeeze I would love to have my own shop.

But what do you need to solder? I haven't researched making one yet cause I haven't decided what I'm doin...

How big is the chevy core?

Thanks for ALL the help guys...

I say forget everything and save some money. Took me a month and I've save up $250. Now I had bought everything I need from Dtekcustom, and hoping it would come.

Here what I got:

Eheim 1250
TC-4
Pro-combo heater core
Bay Resevoir
10 hose clamp
5 feet tylon hose
red line water wetter
6 barb
AS3
and that clear blue dye

equal $260. IT good to take time and save up the money. While you're saving, do some research on the board and learn something that you might want to know. I did and now all I have to do is wait for the system to come next week.

Don't need much tooling for this type fo block. AND it performs quite well. Look on the front page for this style of block tested by Billa.

I'm trying to make a block that can be built by the average person as well. I'm going to try to have it all set up within 2 weeks.

Block O copper?
Maxi-jet $20
Ford or Chevy heatercore < $20
Misc (hose, barbs, clamps) $20

Back