• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Speed-binning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I highly doubt this information is known to all but a select group of Intel employees, and I bet it is also highly classified...

Do you mean what percentage of chips are tested vs not tested at all? That's no big secret, 100% of all chips get tested before shipping.

100% may get tested but that would be - only - to see if they work.I am in QA department (not intel) and there are standards that everybody uses and I can tell you that less than 1% get fully tested.

Thanks for the replies to one and all. I was a bit vague in my question, but the info you have all given me has been helpful to me despite my poor phrasing.

I was specifically interested in the number of processors per thousand (or whatever unit of measure used) are selected to determine the speed of the entire batch. I seem to recall that 1% were fully tested to QA the batch, but couldn't locate my source, and am not sure whether this is indeed accurate.

I may try the pm route for Hawk, and as long as I'm not requesting sensitive information I'll post my findings in this thread in the event I discover anything concrete.

Once again, thanks to all of you for responding to my query, it is much appreciated!

I don't know of any major chip-makers that do speed binning per batch. Speed binning is almost always done on a per-chip basis. And to do that, you have to test every chip.

Back