• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Resivoir and radiator questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathONator

I am sitting here pondering where I would want to place all the WCing components if I decided to go that way. And I have ran into more questions! Keep in mind I like a clean looking case, no rat nests.

(1)
I have a chenming/chieftec BD-01 case and I am considering putting the pump/resivour in my lower harddrive holder. I figure I could fit a 6x4x3.75 inch container in there (custom built of course). So in the resivour I would have that much water minus the size of the pump. I think I am getting the maxi-jet 1200 (unless there is something quite a bit better for under $30). So one of my questions are: How much water should I have circulating in the system? More GPH the better, is the more water circulating also the better? Note: I will probably have a gpu cooling also.

(2)
I think I am going to put the radiator at the top of my case, like a blow hole w/ 120mm fan. I would like to keep the whole under 6.5x6.5in. How big is the '86 chevy radiator? What other kind of radiators could I use? All radiator thoughts/suggestions would be good.

I don't want to over spend $12 just to get 2C cooler. I'm not the hardcore... yet. But I also want to do it right the first time.

Thanks again for ALL the help.

I've got a similar case, and I've rigged up a H2O setup also. I think a good choice might be to get a resevoir that fits in the 5 1/4" bays. (http://jab-tech.com/bay_res_reservoir.html)
Then setup your pump so it's inline with the system, having a pump inside the resevoir does heat up the water a little. I'd advise you buy a 80mm radiator to put in the far bottom of your case, the area below the HD's. I'm pretty sure an 80mm one will fit in there, I bought a 120mm one and it almost fit.
Yes, more water circulating is better, takes longer for it all to heat up. If you're gonna do both the GPU and CPU, you might think of running them in parrellel instead of in series, but would take a more powerfull pump.

Ideas/suggestions:
Radiator:
1) The more bends in the radiator, the more it'll impead the water flow, either get one with a large surface area or get a compact one and buy a good pump.
2) When the specs say 120mm Radiator, that's only the size of the fan, the real dimentions are larger. (I blew it on this...)

Tubing:
1) Buy it at Home Depo or OSH, It's like 59-79 cents a foot, much cheaper than buying online.
2) ALLWAYS use hoseclamps, they cost like $.20 and can save you hundreds in replacement parts...

Waterblock:
SwiftTech. I absolutly love mine.

Pump:
You might look at the Via Agua 1300, 370GPH for $25ish. (you'd need adaptors for 3/8" or 1/2")

In general:
1) Leak test system first, this is a must.
2) After installing system in computer, test the system with the computer's power off, a leak isn't gonna be as bad that way.
3) Invest in WaterWetter. It's $9, and helps to reduce the corrosion caused by water. It also will help out your temps.

Just gimme a PM if you or anyone else needs some help.

--Reid

I know I can fit an 80mm rad if I leave the bottom harddrive holder in. If I want a 120mm one, I'd have to take it out which would require some modding but once I do that it will fit.

But I would rather leave the bottom harddrive holder in and keep the resivoir in there. And put the radiator at the top of the case like a blow hole. The air will be a bit warmer but that's alright, I'll have plenty of intake.

If I do the blow hole, does anyone see a real problem w/ me putting the fan on-top of the radiator, pulling air through. Instead of blowing air at it, w/ the fan below the radiator?

No, I would like to get the cheapest/best one no bigger than 7"x7"x2". How big is the chevy one most people use and what car is it off of? Does anyone think I should NOT put the radiator at the very top of my case?

Back