• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What type of tubing do you use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What type of tubing do you use?

• Vinyl

Votes: 111 17.7%
  • Silicone

Votes: 43 6.9%
  • Tygon

Votes: 199 31.8%
  • Clearflex60

Votes: 223 35.6%
  • Masterkleer

Votes: 14 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 36 5.8%

• Total voters
Frodo Baggins said:

must have been hell to bend those without kinking

Actually it was pretty easy.

I used a small wooden cylinder I had that was about 2" diameter and just carefully bent it using my hands and a little elbow grease.

Turned out really nice.

I don't know if this link will work but here is the pic of the lower half of the case.

http://forums.gideontech.com/vps/showphoto.php?photo=731&papass=&sort=1

And here is the entire thing. Sorry for the bad quality.

http://forums.gideontech.com/vps/showphoto.php?photo=724&papass=&sort=1

I think it turned out pretty good for my first attempt at watercooling.

when i had copper in my system, i used an old pully from a ford f150 alternator to bend the coper pipe in three easy steps

1> apply propane torch to pipe
2> pick up pipe
2a> burn hand and cuss and throw pipe acrost the garage :(
2b> put on my welding gloves and hunt for the hot pipe stuck in wall
2c>repeat step 1
3> apply hot pipe to pully and let my weight pull it in to the bend i need

repeat as needed, although i recomend that you skip step 2 and jump right to step 2a :)

Silicone for one of my systems, CF60 for the other. Want to try Tygon, but don't have money to spare like that. Rather spend it on other stuff like better computer hardware. I guess to me Tygon is one of those things that I would like to have, but won't buy unless I had a lot of money to spare.

RockerII said:
What's the advantage to Tygon and how much more expensive is it?

From what I understand Tygon is more chemical and heat resistant than any of the other mentioned tubing. Also it retains its clearness longer.

As far as price, ClearFlex60 goes for $1.50/ft while Tygon goes for $2.65/ft at DangerDen.

Enigma422 said:

From what I understand Tygon is more chemical and heat resistant than any of the other mentioned tubing. Also it retains its clearness longer.

As far as price, ClearFlex60 goes for $1.50/ft while Tygon goes for $2.65/ft at DangerDen.

Actually, Tygon R-3603 and Clearflex60 have the same operating temperature range (-35 to 71°C), same hardness (Shore 55A), elongation (450%), tensile strength (1650psi) maximum bend radius (4x OD), etc. The same is pretty much true for their chemical resistances. Furthermore, in my experience I've not seen a remarkable difference in the lifespans of the two tubings. Pretty much the main difference is the price, and their colours (Clearflex60 is slightly bluish compared to Tygon).

And Jon: a few of us have been using Clearflex60 much longer than your review has been out. Taking all of the credit for "discovering" Clearflex is perhaps not totally justified. ;)

Last edited:
I use the rubber hosing found in hydraulic equipment. It's surpisingly cheap, mendable, leak proof, durable and EXTREMELY corrosion resistant. The only issue with this sucker is that it is completly black.

Is vinyl tubng the same as PVC tubing? I used crappy vinyl and it doesnt keep its shape very long, streches and whatnot. The pvc hose I use now is pvc drain hose. Holds its shape great, doesnt kink and is green. I also use rubber radiator hose to connect my pump outlet to my case to cut down on vibrations.

case1.jpg

Whudda you guys think?

clearflex 60 , havent installed yet, but i hope it works better than the crap i got at homedepot

Skulemate said:

And Jon: a few of us have been using Clearflex60 much longer than your review has been out. Taking all of the credit for "discovering" Clearflex is perhaps not totally justified. ;)

I know, Gonefishin showed me the clearflex to begin with, I just brought it more public I think... oh well, no big deal or anything:)

JFettig said:

I know, Gonefishin showed me the clearflex to begin with, I just brought it more public I think... oh well, no big deal or anything:)

:D

I'm happy that you were in a position to bring it to people's attention. I tried doing that myself, but received only a lukewarm response, as I was really quite unknown at the time. And it's definitely no big deal... I was just giving you a hard time ;)

Back