• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Little Giant Pumps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zoom

Registered
Okay, I've asked about the Velocity pump now I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with the Little Giant pumps. From my Velocity post it seems that most from the selection of high end pumps peeps selected Iwaki. However I'm interested in the 2-MDQ 465GPH Pump Little Giant pump. Below are the specs on the pump. As you can see the watts seem to be acceptable considering the output of the pump..

1/30 HP
530 GPH
14.4' Head
6.2 PSI
½"FPT Inlet
½"MPT Outlet
96 Watts

There are people that use those pumps... I think Bigben uses one, maybe the model 3, not sure. Those specs are very close to the Iwaki MD-20RLT (I know, Iwaki again) but I believe the Iwaki only consumes 50 or 51W of power, almost half that of the Little giant. I have also heard that the Little Giants can be quite noisy. I would spend the extra $$$ and go for the Iwaki, but I would get the 20RZT and make sure you get the MD, not the WMD. Keep your eye on ebay, I picked up an MD-15R for $70 new...

That's right. I bought a 2-MDQ-SC for $40, at a fair.

There is a different version, the 2-MDQX-SC, but you don't want that one, it's a low pressure pump.

It can be difficult to get an exact specification on this pump, because Tecumseh used to make it, until LGPC.com took it over. As far as I've seen, there are actually 14 variations of the same pump out there...

Otherwise, it's actually an excellent pump. It will put out a fair amount of heat though, so ventilation is most definitely required. I'm still working on that.

Mine has a higher wattage rating, but you have to remember that this is a direct-drive/mag-drive hybrid (also known as a true mag-drive), where the shaft drives a magnetic hub, which in turn drives the impeller.

It is extremely quiet, except for a faint hum (60 Hz). With proper mounting, it can be almost silent. One thing though: it's quite large, with an overall length of more than 10 inches, and you have to allow for a barb, and a tube to bend somewhere within the case. On the plus side, it can be mounted in any orientation.

To try to improve the flow, I'll be trying a volute (inlet/outlet part) from a 3-MDQ-SC on it: It has 3/4 connections instead of 1/2. The holes should be the same. I doubt it will improve anything, as the 2-MDQX-SC has the same connections, but with enough restriction from my block, it might turn out to be favorable.

Connections are standard NPT, so you can use PVC parts available at any Home Depot/Lowe's. I used polypropylene barbs (grey), but I would have picked nylon, had I known better at the time: they're shorter, and if you need to use any glue, nylon will be easy, where polypropylene will be next to impossible.

Hose clamps are a must. Thick walled tubing is a must: this pump will collapse thin-walled 1/2 tubing, in a closed loop. I recently switched to 3/4 braided tubing (1 inch OD), but that may have been overkill. I also added washers to the wingnuts that keep the housing together, which is made of glass-filled polypropylene. It will withstand chemicals quite well.

Taking it apart is easy, putting it back together is hard, because you have to align the ceramic shaft just right, and just as you're about to close it, the magnet sucks everything inside. I usually have to try twice before getting it right.

I think that covers it all... PM me if you have any questions!

Okay, everyone sold me on Iwaki that is what I will order. I'm guessing I should order the MD-20RLT instead of the MD-30RLT Iwaki pump. Simply because it has lower watts. I noticed that Iwaki has 2 different versions of the MD-20RLT (pressure based) and the MD-30RLXT (Re-circulation). Common sense tells me the pressure based pump is the version I need.

zoom said:
Okay, everyone sold me on Iwaki that is what I will order. I'm guessing I should order the MD-20RLT instead of the MD-30RLT Iwaki pump. Simply because it has lower watts. I noticed that Iwaki has 2 different versions of the MD-20RLT (pressure based) and the MD-30RLXT (Re-circulation). Common sense tells me the pressure based pump is the version I need.
Your BEST option would actually be the MD-20R"Z"T - this is the high pressure series... this pump has about a 7 meter head:eek: where the 20R"L"T has about a 4.5 meter head... If you can't (or don't want) the Z series, the regular RLT will do far better than any Eheim or the like. Just make SURE to get the MD and not the WMD.

Do you have a URL for the MD-20RZT series? I can't seem to find that series on the net.. Thanks again..

Back