• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Endless search for particular case!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jus10

I've posted this on the case board but didn't get an answer and I figured it might be better off here. I don't think this is agaist the rules unless I over looked it.

"I'm having trouble finding the case I want. I want a Black Cheiftec Full Tower Aluminum Case with the PSU and with out a window. I can find them with a window on new egg. Directron has them w/o window but only in charcoal. From looking at the model #'s on new eggs site and looking at chieftecs (horrible) site. I think the model number would be AX-01BD 450w (or something to that effect). I've mainly looked at case links on this site including directron.com and newegg.com. I would probably be happy if I found one without the PSU (I would probably need a PSU sudgestion though.) I'm going to use this case for a watercooling case (need a big case for the heater core and 120mm fans). If any one has seen this or could point me in the right direction that would be great! Thanks to all!

(BTW, this is an awsome forum. First post!)

Jus10"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Replies:

Calvus - How much dough are you fitting to throw down for this case?

Jus10 - I was thinking around 150ish for case and psu.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I can't find this case how is the "matrix" cases for this purpose? Thanks again!

This case might be what your looking for http://www.buyxtremegear.com/chiefsxcaswi.html . This is where I got mine, black, w/ window, 2 fans, and alumminum. But I believe the case on this page does NOT have a window. Also, their resellerrating isn't so good, I think this is mainly due to the fact that their SLOW! It took me about 3 weeks to get my case, but it was worth it to me because I was in no hurry and it was only $63 shipped.

PS. Maybe my case came in alumminum by mistake... the details do not say it is alumminum so you might want to email 'em.

I can't find ANY chieftec full towers that are aluminum. Can anyone explain why this is so? Bunches of Mid-Towers but non that are full. I've devoted hours to finding one but have came up with nothing!

The case at voyeurmods and zx mods I believe are the aluminum Mid-Towers. Thanks though. Looks like I'm going to have to get the Jet Black steel case. $72 at directron. Maybe one of my mods can be a light wieght mod. I was wanting aluminum to save my back taking it to lans. I don't go often but that would have made it easier. Does anyone know how much one of the dragon (steel) full towers wiegh? Thanks again!

A lot depends on how much you put in to your Dragon Full Tower, but they do get heavy. Please look at the Maxtop 910 over at New Egg for 59.00 - it's slightly larger than the Dragon and is great for water cooling, too - but has WHEELS.. either way, add some wheels as the full towers get heavy with radiators, hard drives, copper blocks, etc..

Cutting a window helps to lighten the case, some, too. :)

That's a great case. A lot of people like the Scorpio (you may have to search for it) www.teamster469.com Under a section called MO Modders, there are a lot of water cooled cases, Scorpios, Dragons, 1030sx sized cases, etc. You can also check out the cases at moddershq.com

Those large full sized Chieftec cases are perfect for water cooling, imho.. it's just about the best as it has room (a lot) and if you add a couple of nice handles, you can lug it around a lot easier. Lifting it without handles is a pain.. They feel like 50 pounds sometimes - LOL.

WS_JP, I like that case. I'll keep it in mind. Its out of stock at the moment.

[EG]~NaTz~, thats all I want but its not aluminum.

Would the aluminum dragon mid-tower work? I'm probably going to have 2 5.25 bays in use (only one to start wtih) and if I have to I can mount the hard drive up in the 5.25's too... and only one floppy in the top 3.5 slot... and if I take the bottem 3.5 hidden bracket out and if i have to i can cut the one the 3.5 with the floppy in it if I had to. Would that make enough room for the heater core? Here is the case so you can see the space in it.

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage...51-13.JPG/11-125-951-12.JPG/11-125-951-14.JPG

This one is 88 dollars. It also has a window. But I found that I can get a replacement side panel without window. Thats fine with me its only 8 dollars more and I can change them out or make a custom window kit in the new one. Thanks so much for the assistance!

Because you're willing to remove the drive cages -- you actually have some great options.. With the smaller mid-sized You can mount a huge XLR sized heater core in there, and if you want to keep your floppy you can also cut the hard drive cage, just under the floppy drive, it will still "latch" at the top and the lower bezel on the front of the case will help stabilize it so it's not wiggling around a lot.

With the larger FULL tower, you can really just remove the lower cages all together and mount everything (including 1 floppy and 1 hard drive in the floppy tray as it holds (2) 3 1/2 devices - (hard drives / floppy, etc). Drill out the rivets and then lift up on the drive cage trays and they just come out. Then if you've got a jig saw / dremel, you can easily cut your radiator opening.

Newegg and directron both sell those little hard drive 5 1/4" mounting brackets , too There's a guy Snoodge who modded his 1030sx and he's been thrilled.

Both of those (mid and full towers) work well and of course, if you have more hard drives, cd roms, etc, the full tower is the way to go for sure, plus you have a lot of room for growth, etc.

One other thing, is say you have one case, and you want to swap out the front bezel / face, if you call Antec, they can send you the new front face -

Antec has a toll free number where you can order bezels

1-888-542-6832

Chieftec and Antec bezels will interchange.

Scorpio, Matrix, Dragon???????

(Thanks to RunMC for the info)

Teamster did a rockin' job on his Matrix project "P4". If you need any pics or anything or links - just let me know..

have a super week!

Back