• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How long do you run Prime95 and then say your OC is stable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

syntax_error

How long do you run Prime95 for and then say that the CPU OC is good?

I've got an MSI KT3 Ultra2, 512mb Corsair PC2700 and XP1700+ at 190fsb with a multi of 9 (1710mhz). Been running Prime95 for about 3 hours now and browsing forums. CPU is mated to a Volcano7+ on low setting... temp is reporting 42c with 1.6v. Will hopefully keep running overnight.

I usually figure after about 24 hrs Im good to go. And If I ever crash for any reason afterwards I try again

7 days. You leave your PC unattended for more than 24hours and the more you do, it reduces the chance of being unstable.

This is all that goes by right?

prime95.jpg

Don't base system stability on just one test. The last Tualatin Celeron system I built would crunch through Prime until the power went out, but would hiccup on other tests, i.e., looping the Serious Sam 2 intro.

Other people have zero problems running all tests thrown at a system, but their systems hiccup on Prime.

All in all, the quest for the highest, stable o/c can take weeks sometimes! That's what makes it so fun!!

Of course I agree that you should try other benchmarks such as UT2K3 Demo to test the whole system but before doing that you should do a quick skim of 2-3 hours on each components - Prime, Memtest, 3dmark, and UT2K3.

Elusion: Why not leave it on over night or something? Unless you only sleep for 3 hours a day. There has to be days where your rig just sits there and does nothing.

usualy my system wont give out any errors after 1 hour, when its stable it wont last for more than five minutes. But when i try serious stability i will just leave it overnight (~8 hours)

PhobMX said:
usualy my system wont give out any errors after 1 hour, when its stable it wont last for more than five minutes. But when i try serious stability i will just leave it overnight (~8 hours)

Hmmm, if it is stable it won't last for more than 5minutes? Isn't that considered unstable? hehe ;)

Well.... normally when do run the 3dmarks benchmark, if the system is unstable, you can tell right away.... the agp tearing... also superpi will pick it up fast by calculating the 1mb of PI...

Personally I don't like Prime95 that much... I only use Sandra Burn in Wizard and also looping 3dmarks benches... because it is not only torturing your cpu/ddr... but also your AGP card as well....

I say if after 3 hours with stable temps then the overclock is a success. I always have my machines run United Devices so they always have a 100% cpu load.

EluSiOn said:
Well.... normally when do run the 3dmarks benchmark, if the system is unstable, you can tell right away.... the agp tearing... also superpi will pick it up fast by calculating the 1mb of PI...

Personally I don't like Prime95 that much... I only use Sandra Burn in Wizard and also looping 3dmarks benches... because it is not only torturing your cpu/ddr... but also your AGP card as well....

Sandra doesn't stress the system at all. I've seen people loop through Sandra for days and not be able to complete 5mins of Prime and not to mention it doesn't give you an error message. 3dmark is ok but sometimes it is hard to narrow down what is causing the instability.

But like I said, you leave your computer unattended for more than 3 hours and other DC programs such as SETI, Folding, or United Devices etc may not stress the component enough compared to programs specifically designed to do that or it doesn't give you an error message and you could be sending in corrupted units so you are not only wasting your time but theirs as well.

Yodums

I've managed to sort of watch it for a few hours at at time...but when I leave it over night or when I head off to work I come back to a frozen screeen and blacked out monitor...so I'm figuring somewhere between 4-10 hours it poops out on me. I guess I'll have to back off a bit.

Are there any utilities that can write and update a log every half hour or so about system status...then if the system crashes the info can be reviewed after the re-boot?

Last edited:
I think 12 hours is fine, I usually do 14-ish (a little after I get up to a little before I go to bed). Personally I think anything over 48 is excessive, but I know yodums loves his stress testing :) I remember a few months back you were toting 48-72 hours, now it's a week? At this rate he'll be burning for a month by next fall :)

--Illah

syntax_error said:
Are there any utilities that can write and update a log every half hour or so about system status...then if the system crashes the info can be reviewed after the re-boot?

Hmmm...MBM5 has such a feature...I think I'll give it a go.

Illah said:
I think 12 hours is fine, I usually do 14-ish (a little after I get up to a little before I go to bed). Personally I think anything over 48 is excessive, but I know yodums loves his stress testing :) I remember a few months back you were toting 48-72 hours, now it's a week? At this rate he'll be burning for a month by next fall :)

--Illah

Haha :D I just think it is worth it to give up a few days to test stability which can last days instead of wasting more days to see what is stable and keep on testing it ;)

Maybe I won't be doing anything with overclocking next fall? ;)

Yodums

i run prime 95 overnight to test for stability. i also use 3dmark looping for a few hours to test that way as well. then comes toast to finish everything out. i run toast for at least 12 hrs

Jen

My current setup will run prime95 for 70+ hours with no problems whatsoever. About 1811 MHz. The 180fsb does in my onboard raid controller for some reason, So I'm back at 172.5x10.5

If mine makes it past about 12-14 hours I'm usually too impatient to let it go any further.

I also believe in using 3dMark for stablity testing, although more for other parts of the computer. For instance, my current rig could do Prime all day long at 200mhz FSB, but 3dMark would bomb after 1-2 loops through at 200. Therefore, I didn't think the problem was the CPU at that point, but something else. Knowing that my video card was clocked at a core/memory and AGP bus speed it had done with no hiccups for months on another system, and that my memory could do 200 using memtest86 for hours without erroring, suggested to me that it was the chipset. When I throttled it down to 192 FSB (but a slightly higher CPU clock overall - 1729 vs. 1700), my system became as stable as could be, looping 3dMark for hours on end.

Sorry for the book that was only slightly off topic :D

Back