• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD vs Pentium?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neofate

AMD In this Corner -- Pentium In The other!
Well, I was so "stoked" about overclocking an AMD chip, that is less than 100 dollars, to hopefully 2.2ghz, maybe more. However, it seems as if some people think the best deal for the money now is to go with a pentium setup, and overclock it. I have heard you can get a P4 2.2 or so, and hit 3Ghz and beyond on air? Is this true? Is this less expensive?

Also.. My main question, if the answer is to go with AMD.

I would like to go with the AMD XP 2100 T-Bred B chip, with the stepping of AIUHB (The one that overclocks so well).

If that is the case, how in the world can I find a place that will ship that particular stepping of the 2100 to me? It seems to me, that they would just ship whatever they have, and I may get stuck with a poor performer?

So, AMD 2100 Type B, or P4 Low 2Ghz chips to start out my overclocking on? Which is going to give the best bang for buck, and best performance obvioiusly.

A budget is a MUST! I really don't want to spend more than 250 or so on Chip and Motherboard combined. Give or take.

I know this is a highly debated battle, but please for the sake of money and time. Try and give me an honest answer. I know some will be biased either way, but with the answer, please give a reason.

Thanks so much!

"A budget is a MUST!" says it all really - once you add in all the other costs such as Ram and Mobo then AMD is the only way to go.

Well newegg has been shipping all AIUHB steppings as far as I know(at the time I bought mine every other post I saw was AIUHB). If you are worried about that though I think I saw some posts about a company called excaliberpc.com that guaranteed the stepping. Plus the price was even cheaper than newegg.

As far as Intel goes well I will leave that for someone who knows more about what speeds and steppings etc of theirs can oc well in the price range of the 2100 tbred b but honestly I would be suprised if there was one that is such a value.

CPU Wars

The P4 low 2Ghz model overclocked will probably be slightly faster if you get it to 3Ghz. It would cost around $300 for cpu + motherboard.

The 2100+ would be neck and neck with that P4 though it just about everything when overclocked to 2.3 or 2.4 Ghz, at times beating the pentium in performance tests. It would cost around $250 for cpu + motherboard + case cooling fans and beefy overclocking heatsink/fan.

Now you tell me which is the better value.

www.newegg.com
www.excaliberpc.com

Both those sites offer 2100+ Tbred B's around $100. AUIHB seems to be in high circulation right now, although there might still be a few AUIGB's floating around. Excaliber claims to sell purely the AUIHB code.

For a motherboard, I'd recommend an epox 8rda or asus a7n8x. Both have lite and deluxe models.

Last edited:
i have an AIUHB
its running 2.4ghz 1.85v ON AIR

you should be able to get a decent board and cpu with that kind of cash esp if your only getting a 2100
to make sure of the stepping you will need to ask the person you are buying it from if it is an AIUHB, and they will need to make the effort to look on the chip before they sell it to you, you cant return a chip simply because you dont like its stepping unless it is SPECIFICALLY and expressly stated to you that you are being sold an AIUHB.

ive heard the epox has an 8+ something thats good, and i like the dragon kt400 that soyo has, right now ive got the soyo dragon platinum kt333 i cant run 166fsb but it does the job and i would imagine a kt333 chipset is cheaper than a kt400

I posted my opinion on this in the identical thread you put in the Intel CPU forum. For those of those who don't read the Intel forums, PCNUT, an overclockers.com sponsor guarantees an AIUHB 2100 TbredB week 48/49 for $107.

I'd go with AMD for all the aforementioned reasons but I'll add one more. AMD chips based on a .13 micron process don't seem to have electron migration problems the way the Northwoods do (SNDS)

~THT

Back