• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding barbs on heatercore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathONator

Can anyone link me to a page that has good instructions on adding the right barbs to your heater core? Also do you think heatercores have better performance than most watercooling radiators?

i could also use this if any one has one........

Actually, do you just cut off the old ends and solder your own on? I am gonan be setting up some Water Cooling real soon and I wanna be sure I am set :cool:

As you can see from this pic I just used JB weld I put it on the heater core first then put a little on the threads of the barbs (female) then spun it on the heater core let it stand over night then added some more JB weld to lock it all together (just in case)

19256697.jpg

Yes but what about thoughs who have a heater core from a care? We have to cut off old pipes, and solder barbs on correct? I need an article or somethin.

DeathONator said:
Yes but what about thoughs who have a heater core from a care? We have to cut off old pipes, and solder barbs on correct? I need an article or somethin.
the epoxy acts just like a soldered joint but you dont use a torch and you can fill bigger voids with it

I have never used JBWeld, but I think this is the "low road"
approach. Do it right and solder the barbs on. If you don't
know how, there has to be someone you know who can help
you out. Car guys do all sorts of crazy stuff. :)

I have done both soldering and epoxy each has its good and bad points soldering is faster but JB weld is easier and doesn't require a torch, for water cooling either is fine.

Soldering is only really an issue if you aren't fast enough to get it done before the solder thats already used to make the core melts. Soldering can be undone (useful because I used Male ended barbs and they are a ***** and a half to grind down with a dremel so when i swapped cores I just desoldered and soldered on my new one.

Torches are 10$ so that shouldn't be an issue

Never tried Jbweld though> I'll have to get some.

Back