• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microstar mobo's: Good, bad or ugly?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kal123

Registered
I have found a Microstar mobo which has the Via KT266 chipset.

Microstar K7T266 DDR KT266 ATX

I'm ready to buy it, but I don't know anything about Microstar. Are their mobos any good? Otherwise I'll likely get the A7M266 (or the A7V266 if it is available..somewhere...sooon!!!)

There was a little hubbub with the K7T266 Pro a while back... but even so, it would still be my choice over the A7M266 or A7A266. If you can at all help it, I would wait for the KT266 offerings from Abit, Iwill, and Asus. The DDR market is almost there... with some new KT266 boards and some BIOS revisions, it'll be primed.

SickBoy

kal123 (Apr 27, 2001 03:05 p.m.):
I have found a Microstar mobo which has the Via KT266 chipset.

Microstar K7T266 DDR KT266 ATX

I'm ready to buy it, but I don't know anything about Microstar. Are their mobos any good? Otherwise I'll likely get the A7M266 (or the A7V266 if it is available..somewhere...sooon!!!)

My experience with MSI boards is that they are GREAT stock boards and good for moderate overclocking. I have not tested the K7T266 but have read enough about the BIOS and resistor placement issue to be concerned. I'd recommend an Abit or IWill.

they always get great reviews, although the IWILLs are the favorite of overclockers. From what I hear and see, you should be very happy with a mobo from asus, abit, iwill, or msi(microstar). Just look for the features you want and get the mobo you like. If it is from one of those companies, you will be happy.

Thanks. :) I'm just starting out and my head is a' spinning with all the info I've read. Seriously, over 48 hours of reading posts, reviews, etc. in the last few days. Whew.

Okay, so I guess I need to wait a bit, although I *really* don't want to. However, I don't want to be obsoleted in a few weeks, i.e., buying a DDR chipset w/o the V-Link technology, so I'll try. It seems that the only DDR/Via mobos around now are:

Gigabyte 7VTX KT266
Soltek SL75DRV KT266

How would you rate these? If they are good, do you know where to find them?

Cheers...

k.

Stay away from the MSI K7T266 unless u are willing to spend a lot of time tweaking it. I returned mine becos I dun think the effort spent on getting the stability and performance is worth the time I spent tweaking it.

Well, Thursday Ed sed they just got an MSI K7 master in, so I guess we should be hearing something any minute. HINT ! HINT !
I'm pretty anxious because mine is sitting inthe Emeryville FedX facility waiting to be delivered on Monday. I've heard good things about it. Or well, I wouldn't have purchased it.

So Ed .... How about leaking some preliminary findings ?

-=UR=- Ranger (Apr 30, 2001 03:30 p.m.):
F*** Microstar, get yourself an Abit or perhaps Asus or Iwill.
But Abit is my personal all-time number one

YOur advice sounds as ignorant as your post. "F*** Microstar". I'd guess you're one of many who've tried one board or two (never a Microstar) and feel they're king of the world when it comes to Q&A. I'd wait to see the results on the MSI board that Ed is working on now.....

Back