• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cellphone LCD mod - help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twist

I have an old cell phone I ripped apart, and I want to used the LCD with my PC. I have the whole working cellphone, so if there are any parts I could need from it, tell me. Everything works, I can even make calls (or attempt to, no service :rolleyes: ).

Its 13 (or 14?) across by 3 down

This would be cool if it worked! I was thinking of making a USB front gameport/LCD "bay" in one of the CD bays.
Here are some pics:

lcdback.jpg

lcdfront.jpg

lcdtag.jpg

Two more:
LCD Back, Top
LCD while off

first u need to take that wierd flat cable into something that can plug into ur computer, such as a serial port

from there its just a matter of controlling software

What about a controller chip, etc? Is it integrated into the LCD that I have? Do I need to buy a new one? If so, how much will it cost?

Also, how would I go about converting the "ribbon" cable into a serial cable?

A little more detail would be helpful.

*bump*
I was wondering about something like this too.

I have a couple of old calculators hanging around, just waiting to be in a drive bay.:D

-CPFitz-

Twist said:
What about a controller chip, etc? Is it integrated into the LCD that I have? Do I need to buy a new one? If so, how much will it cost?

Most (if not all) Cell phones use ASICs (Application Specific ICs) or FPGAs (Field Programmable Gate Arrays), so it's gonna be very hard or even impossible to get info about the controller.

Building a controller is gonna be very expensive, you're probably better of buying a LCD+Controller (Matrix Orbital).

Vulpes said:
how many wires are coming out from that connector?

I think its about 8.

KILLorBE: I had a feeling something like that would happen. We'll see...

Hmm.. I'm trying to figure it out.. It's definately not parallel, just too few wires. Possibly serial, if we're in luck.. Tryed the optrex website, but the dmc series stopped a bit early, 50966 could not be found.

The only solution I can see, is to e-mail optrex for more info!

Alright- I sent them 2 emails (on to tech support & one to LCD product information)

If anyone can find anything about it, please post!!

Ok, I called Optrex today. The woman that picked up said it was an "old" part, which might be true since the cell phone is not that news. Anyways, she said that she would have to call me back, because she couldn't find any info yet. She said that hopefully she can get the specs. If I get them, you guys may have to help decipher some stuff.

Last edited:
I had this exact thought as well. Here's what I have thus far;

Most of the LCD cellphone parts I have been able to find out about are manufactured by EPSON or TOSHIBA. (I'm talking US here, NOKIA and other EU providers may "roll-their-own", so to speak)

Here is the link to the EPSON LCD parts devision;

http://www.eea.epson.com/

The LCD info is here;
http://www.eea.epson.com/go/Prod_Admin/Categories/EEA/LCD/displayCategory

You need 2 parts (I think) to make it work. 1) the LCD 2) an IC or driver card to make the LCD display/work. Some of the EPSON models have and intergrated driver IC circuit.

I did call a local EPSON LCD Parts rep for more info. Of course I got the "let me get back to you on that..." </DIAL-TONE>

I'm sure it can be done, I mean its simply a display device right? Once you figure out how to make the IC work, the LCD is just going to display the serial/par. input. Provided it can do so. (read: resolution/color/display limits etc.)

Come on people this is a smart bunch, someone needs to figure it out. (Wonder how much it would be to add my computer to my Wireless Friends & Family Plan!)
:)

Peace,

Hannibal

Wow. Thanks for the help and support!

Come one guys...let's do this. (ok, so that sounded REALLY bad, but I'm serious)

(Wonder how much it would be to add my computer to my Wireless Friends & Family Plan!)

Hehe. Good question :p

someone's gotta find at least something i can use the small lcd for.. even to just display the games

02-05-03, 08:38 PM was the...last post date. Never bring back a thread this old.

Just curious... why would it be better to make a new thread regarding the same subject? How do you figure this clogs the forums? I have often thought about this but I've only ever seen the information that is already in this thread

Back