• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

linux noob here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Supertrucker

Way Too Jealous Member
i have tried two install two noob versions of linux. lindows(not my first choice) and redhat 8.0. i gave up on lindows and tried several times to do redhat 8, i have all the disks from two separate sources and they both error at the same point in install on a freshly formatted 30gb hdd that is good.
importerror: cannot import name BETANAG
install exited abnormally
sending termination signals...done
disabling swap
unmounting filesystems
it is now safe to reboot your system
any ideas or help here. i know nuthin about linux and have not used dos since before win95 was an option.
hardware is 30gb wd hdd msi kt3 ultra2 radeon 8500 generic 512mb winbond ram integrated sound linksys nic. please help

I am a perpetual linux nOOb, so I know the frustration that it can cause quite well:)

Background:
when Mandrake and RedHat released their latest versions I downloaded both, checked the MD sums and burnt the .isos;
Mandrake would not install but then it never has for me:(

RedHat has always been good to me though, yet the install failed- mine just locked up at 70% complete. So I downloaded RH8 again.
And it did the SAME THING!!! No clue as to why, my hardware is 100% compatible- been running RH7.3 for a while.

My only solution was to wait until the actual disto I use was updated to RH8 and try one more time. Worked.

I use K12LTSP- Version 3.0 is based on Redhat 8.0: everything is the same but you also have an install option which adds Terminal Server capability to the machine. Download times are usually pretty good on the site too:D

Get it HERE

Back