• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 ways of doing things?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deviantbox

I get people saying that the best setup order is:

pump -> res -> heatercore(rad) -> CPU block -> pump

I also have knowledgeable people saying:

pump -> CPU block -> heatercore(rad) -> res -> pump

One better than the other or difference negligeable?

No decernable difference, though I intend on having my pump outlet straight onto the CPU block (2inch of hose at most) so the water is at it's most turbulant...

I have a firm belief in experimentation.

Air, water or fancier stuff- it doesn't matter: what works best for some might not work best for you.

It is very hard to quantify ALL the variables involved in cooling a computer, period. That said, many people still try:) Bill A. is doing some fantastic stuff with water cooling testing and benchmarking: it has to be the best work I have seen done on the subject, period.

And yet even that doesn't answer EVERY question YET!

Most commonly the best results are found with the radiator (whatever kind you use) immediately before the waterblock; order of other components like reservoir/pump seems less important.
It seems that having the coolant as cool as possible when it hits the cpu is best :) and rad-->waterblock may be the best way to do that....usually.

But the difference I've seen reported is usually minimal, or nonexistent. In my own case I get 1 or 2c difference, MAX.
So for me the experiment of switching around was worth it, others get different results.

As long as water cooling remains as much Art as Science you will find few truly definitive answers :D

i think theoretically you should go pump > rad > res > cpu, because the pump puts off a little heat that needs to be released so it is released in the rad, and then to the res for a fresh supply of water and then to the cpu, of course now the cpu has a lower flow rate, but if you have a powerful pump that not a problem

i always like to see the res right before the pump, so that it can act as a bubble trap, and it makes it auto prime the pump, when you change your water, but this is just me :)

elekt said:
i think theoretically you should go pump > rad > res > cpu, because the pump puts off a little heat that needs to be released so it is released in the rad, and then to the res for a fresh supply of water and then to the cpu, of course now the cpu has a lower flow rate, but if you have a powerful pump that not a problem
The heat is very small. What's imporant to remember is that if you have a flow rate of 1 gpm (which is low) and you have 1/2 gallon of coolant in your rig, your coolant is recirculated twice per minute.

I use an Hydor L30 320 gph pump, 1/2" tubing, swiftech MCW5000A CPU block and MCW50 GPU block, Dtek HC with shroud and a bayres.

Back