• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you own a laptop, post here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My crappy one~
Make~ Gateway 2500

Model: 2500

Preinstalled Software~ none

Preinstalled OS~ WIn 98se

Processor (upgradeable? sodered?) PII 300 512k

Speed- PII 300

RAM- 256MGs

Video (and MB of VRAM) 4mg

DVD/CDROM/CDRW- DVD

Hard Drive- 6gig

Screen Size (image quality, resolution)13.3 inch LCD

Weight/Size (fully loaded, bare bones)~ Uhh 5 pounds?

Age~ 4yrs

Price (at time of purchase and what you would pay for it now) I payed $100 used

Pros~ Cheap. FAST, working, DVD, large hardrive, 256mgs ram

Cons- HEAVY

Recommended? uhhh NO

Tech Support/ Warranty 3yr

General Comments~ It works.....

DADS that i play with~

Make~ DELL inspiron

Model: i dunno

Preinstalled Software~ Office and dell stuff

Preinstalled OS~ Win XP pro

Processor (upgradeable? sodered?) P4

Speed- 1.8gig

RAM- 512 DDR

Video (and MB of VRAM) 32mg

DVD/CDROM/CDRW- DVD/Burner

Hard Drive- 40gig

Screen Size (image quality, resolution)15 inch LCD

Weight/Size (fully loaded, bare bones)~ Uhh 5 pounds?

Age~ 6months

Price (at time of purchase and what you would pay for it now) I dint pay for it.

Pros~ FAST, DVD/burner, large hardrive, 512mgs ram charp screen

Cons- Ummm its hot

Recommended? uhhh yeah

Tech Support/ Warranty 3yr

General Comments~ It works..... and i think it was around $1600

Make: Sony Vaio
Model: PCGFX210
Preinstalled Software: MS/Word, Netscape Navigator 4.78, Acrobat 4.0, Software DVD player, Movie shaker video editiing
Preinstalled OS: Win/ME
Processor (upgradeable? sodered?): Duron
Speed: 800 mhz
RAM: 128 MB (upgradeable to 256)
Video (and MB of VRAM): Rage Mobility 8 MB
DVD/CDROM/CDRW: DVD ROM
Hard Drive: 10MB
Screen Size (image quality, resolution) 14 inches
Weight/Size (fully loaded, bare bones) Not sure bu it certainly does not weigh me down when I am taking it anywhere.
Age 1 ½ years
Price (at time of purchase and what you would pay for it now) $900 (if memory serves)
Pros: You can remove the floppy drive and run a second battery in the space.
Cons: You will need the second battery if you are going to be away from power for more than a couple of hours.

Technically, it is a desktop replacement but I was looking for a second computer at a reasonable price. So it is fairly stripped down (20BG HD’s were already fairly common when I bought it, etc…). Since I usually don’t take it out with me, it is fine for the “Joe sixpack/suit” stuff that I tend to do with it. The limited amount of gaming that I have done with it runs fine (Quake 2, SimCity 3K, Stronghold Crusader, Capitalism 2).

It is also good with the heat. It is sitting on a desk right now with no support for airspace under it and folding. MBM5 tells me that the proc is running at 27c (not that spitfires get all that hot anyway but that I what I see). If you can work with a stripped down second computer, that is a good way to save some cash.

Edit: Since it is already a bit long in the tooth, if I was specing a laptop today, a similar box might have a Morgan 1400 and a 20GB HD.

Last edited:
dell latitude CPr-R 400
400mhz
128mb 66mhz ram
10gb
no pre-installed hd but running win2000, office 2000 and vs6.0
14.1in screen
not sure on weight
no problems

Sony picturebook (PCG-C1XS)
p2 400 mhz, 128 mb ram, 4 mb video memory (i think), 10 gb hard drive, windows 98, 9in screen, external floppy, external dvd drive, camera built into screen.
Pros: VERY lightweight and small, built in camera is fun to play with(pictures and video).
Cons: external drives are annoying, screen aspect ratio is 2:1 widescreen(about 8x4 in), short battery life.
Overall: good for basic stuff on the go like word, excel etc. very bad for games because of the screen. dvd drive and floppy drive combined are bigger than the laptop so taking them everwhere is impractical. also it tends to overheat if its run for much longer than 2 hours straight.
it serves its purpose very well(i just use it for school)

Custom Sager

15.7" LCD
p4 2.4ghz
Windows XP Home
8x CDRW/DVD rom combo
Regular CD-ROM
60gb HDD
64mb Radeon 7500 DDR
512mb DDR

has 6 USB, 1 ps2, infared, CF reader

lol, my mom told me to find the fasterest laptop for her bussiness
so i did.

i pretty much used it all the time when i was in the phillipines.
this thing runs morrowind awesome at 1024x768. morrowind is
one heck of a demmanding game. awesome laptop!!!

Apple Powerbook 5300 PowerPC 603e/100 10.4 inch 32/1.4 HD
Apple Titanium iBook G3/700 14.1 inch 256/30/Combo
Dell Inspiron 7000 PII/300 15 inch 256/6 HD

To give u the complete picture I post about Apple laptops. I use mostly for DTP and Web design then.

First and foremost: Although probably the coolest hardware u will ever own is a Mac, they are real expensive$$$ :( even diskettes for mac are more expensive than for PC. But used to be real eyecatchers at airports! Great for E-Mail and surfing.

Dell is outstanding. Had this one for over 5 years and still runs great. DVD works good. Great for E-Mail and surfing. Main problem: cannot upgrade componets. Have disasembled laptop and if I had the parts... could replace the video board, the processor, the HD, etc.

so buy now thinking harware is expendable because will be below specs in real fast.:)

• Make - Compaq
  • Model - LTE Elite 4/75 C
  • Preinstalled Software - None
  • Preinstalled OS - Windows 3.11
  • Processor (upgradeable? sodered?) - Intel 486 DX/4, apparently upgradable, but not the same as a desktop 486
  • Speed - 75 MHz
  • Video (and MB of VRAM) - Western Digital 90C24
  • DVD/CDROM/CDRW - None
  • Hard Drive - 340 MB Quantum Daytona
  • Screen Size (image quality, resolution) - I reckon it's about 9"and the resolution is 800x600 or 640x480, the color is okay, but there is definitely way too much ghosting to play Wolfenstein 3D.
  • Weight/Size (fully loaded, bare bones) - Maybe 3 or 4 pounds. I can't find the battery, though
  • Age - It's a 486
  • Price (at time of purchase and what you would pay for it now) - I paid nothing for it. I was going to sell it to a friend for $10, but he backed out on me.
  • Pros - it was free, the battery lasts over 5 hours
  • Cons - small hard drive, only supports 24 megs of RAM, it's a 486, not good for fast paced games, or any games for that matter
  • Recommended? - If you're on a very small budget, and want a portable linux box for mainly educational purposes, this system is for you
  • Tech Support/ Warranty - I think the warranty ran out over 5 years ago.
  • General Comments - What more is there to say?

FlypSyde said:
Make
- Toshiba
Model
- Satellite 1115-S103
Preinstalled OS and Software Package
- Windows XP Home Edition, MS Works, Quicken, Norton AV, Toshiba utilities. (removed XP and installed 2K, works fine)
Processor
- Intel Celeron
Speed
- 1.5GHz
Video
- ATi M6-C
DVD/CDROM/CDRW
- DVDROM
Hard Drive
- 20GB IDE ATA-5
Screen Size
- 14.1" TFT
Weight/Size
- 6.9lbs/12.6"x10.9"x1.5"(lwh)
- Purchased brand new at BestBuy in December 02.
Price
- $1000 at BestBuy - $500 in rebates = $500 + Tax
Pros
- Cheap (assuming I get my rebates) does the job I bought it for. Has modem, nic, 3 USB, vga & tv out, 2 x PC card slots, 256MB SDRAM expandable up to 512MB.
Cons
- It's not top of the line, no floppy drive, battery lasts about an hour.
Recommended
- I would recommend at the price I got it at, probably not for at the full price though.
Tech Support/ Warranty
- Don't remember, I'd have to dig up the information at home.
General Comments
- It's a cheap laptop that works for me. Not the best but I don't need the best for what I use it for. Pretty light to carry around too.

I own this same model except I have 512 Mem (256 Upgrade - $70 for the Recommended Kingson Memory). I mostly agree with what is said here. However, battery life can around 2 hours 15 minutes if you use the "long life" setting, and around 2 hours with the normal setting. 99% of the time I use the A/C, so battery life doesn't really matter to me. The 1 hour battery life mentions above is probably if you use the "full power" battery setting.

Also, this model uses PC2100 SODIMMs.

I don't really have any complains about this thing, exect that I can't play C & C generals. Actually I can, but in low graphics and it chugs just a bit. Good thing I have a desktop too.

For the OS I have Win2K because War Craft 3 would crash with the WinXP (HOME) driver. I have heard that WinXP Pro runs it fine. I also have a dual boot with redhat 8.0. Anyone interested in installing redhad on this model should consult this site:

http://home.gagme.com/greg/linux/toshiba1115.php

edit: I paid 650 (1000 - 350MIR). Now if toshiba would only get my $200 MIR to me..........

Last edited:
• Make: Dell
• Model: Inspiron 8200
• Preinstalled Software: MS works Suite 2002, and a bunch of other stuff like DVD software etc.
• Preinstalled OS: Win XP home
• Processor: P4-M
• RAM: 640 megs of DDR PC2100. It came with 256 megs. I added the rest.
• Speed: 1.7 ghz
• Video: Gf4 440 Go 64mb of ram
• DVD/CDROM/CDRW: 8xDVD, 8xCDRW combo drive
• Hard Drive: 40 gig. IBM made it I think. 4500 rpm?
• Screen Size: 15” UltraSharp running at 1600x1200
• Weight/Size: I think it’s like 8.5 lbs
• Price: about $2250-$2300 without the added ram I installed.
• Pros: It has the best LCD screen I’ve ever seen. Very sharp and bright. It’s great for gaming. I play every thing from Diablo II, JK2, UT2003, WC3, Half Life and Star Craft on it with no problems. I also run programs like Paint Shop Pro 7, Photo Shop, Bryce 5 etc. It’s quite the desktop replacement. It’s fast, and it has a ton of ram. In fact, I use it a whole lot more the my other two desktop PCs. It’s also very quite. The two fans in the back almost never come on when I’m doing normal stuff, and when they do, it’s only for a very short time. It looks nice, it’s well built and most everything is laid out well. It has a touch pad and one of those little round things in the center of the keyboard which is nice.
• Cons: The phone and network ports are in a lame spot. It only has two USB ports. I bought a 4 port USB hub so it’s ok now. The 40 hdd it came with isn’t really big enough IMO. I’d like to get a second 40 gig drive soon. Ummm, that’s about it other than the price tag. I thought it was a wee bit expensive.
• Recommended?: Absolutely
• Tech Support/ Warranty: I think I got the 3 year mail in service. I haven’t needed to call their tech support yet, so I don’t know how good it is. Besides, why call them when you can come here? :)
• General Comments: I love it. It does everything I want it to do and more. Right now I’ve got a printer, scanner, joystick, speakers, headphones, mouse keyboard, USB port and a wireless network all hooked up to it. It’s loaded. Lol :D

Make: Toshiba
Model: Satelite 105
Preinstalled Software:MS Works, Quicken, Norton AV, Toshiba utilities, Windvd, Drag n Drop Burning App
Preinstalled OS: XP Home ED.
Processor: P4 Celeron
Speed: 1.6g
Video: NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go graphics controller; 16MB external
video memory
DVD/CDRW: TEAC 24x CDRW 8x DVDrom
Hard Drive: 20G
Screen Size:15.0” TFT active-matrix display; Internal display supports up to
16M colors at 1024 x 768
Weight:7.6lbs
Actual Price:$1099+Tax
After Rebate Price: $750
Pros: All of it no complaints here for that price
Cons:No Floppy Drive or ps2 port
Tech Support: Yes
Warranty: 1year Parts n Labor, Will extend warranty to 3yr no fault insurance

Great starter laptop upgradeable and very easy access to individual parts in case if u want to upgrade in the future.

I believe best buy still has the special going damn sales people made me wait 3 hrs for the damn laptop n tried to sell me insurance no matter what dont take it toshiba offers better warranty for the same price

Last edited:
Make - Compaq

Model - Armada E500

Preinstalled Software - None (Not sure originally)

Preinstalled OS - None (originally WinNT 4.0 WS)

Processor (upgradeable? sodered?) - PIII 500 with SpeedStep (soldered)

Speed - 500MHz

Video (and MB of VRAM) - ATi Rage Mobility 8MB

DVD/CDROM/CDRW - My model came with a 24X CDROM. I bought the 8X DVD for it. They are hotswappable.

Hard Drive - Mine came with a 6GB. Up to 12GB available, I believe.

Screen Size (image quality, resolution) - 13" TFT. 1024x768x16@75Hz for me. Looks pretty good.

Weight/Size (fully loaded, bare bones) - 8.1lbs loaded. Not sure without battery (one of the smallest batteries there ever was though).

Age - Probably about 1.5 years...only a few months for me.

Price (at time of purchase and what you would pay for it now) - $500 off lease. I'd probably pay the same for it with what I've added only.

Pros - 440BX chipset, TV-Out, decent size, durable, relatively cheap when bought used, plays DVDs well, hotswappable removeable storage drives.

Cons - Heavy, CPU not upgradable, smallish hard drive (my version), graphics a little weak (probably good in its time though).

Recommended? - For the power user/frequent traveler, definately not. For someone who just needs or wants a decent laptop for whatever reason, sure. I didn't have a big need for one but always wanted one and it does what I want it to do.

Tech Support/ Warranty - None left on mine but I imagine it had a standard Compaq 1 yr warranty on parts and service.

General Comments - As I said, if I don't feel like getting out of bed, it's a perfect web browser and can actually play a few decent older games. Not so heavy it can't be taken on trips, but not if you were going several times weekly. It's no speed demon but I felt I got a good deal on what I got for $500. Put about another $100 into it by adding 128MB of RAM, the DVD drive and replaced the 56K modem with the 56K/100MBps NIC mini-PCI internal combo.

# Make - HP
# Model - Pavillion ze1000/xf335
# Preinstalled Software - dont remember - uninstalled most of it.
# Preinstalled OS - XP home
# Processor - Athalon XP1500+
# Speed - 1.3 GHz - with 512MB ram shared with video
# Video - S3-VIA Twister-K and 8 or 16 or 32 MB of share RAM
# DVD/CDRW - YES
# No floppy
# Hard Drive - 30 GB
# Screen Size 14" 1024x768 32 bit color
# Age - Bought it :santa: for myself
# Price - 1050.00
# has 2-USB, Parallel port, external VGA port, Modem, LAN, Mic, Headphone, 1 type I or type II PCMIA
# Recommended - Yes
# Tech Support/ Warranty - std 1 year

Edit to Correct specs.

Last edited:
Apple 12" iBook G4
384MB
AirPort Extreme
Bluetooth (internal very soon)
ATI 9200 32MB

Love it.

Other laptops i recently considered were........
eMachines M6807
Mitac AMD64 (a la cyberpowerinc.com)
Sager models
Hypersonic models

Make ~ Dell
Model ~ 5150
Preinstalled Software ~ WinDVD , Earthlink , music match , Quicken , britannica , roxio , word perfect
Preinstalled OS ~ XP Home with SP1
Processor ~ Intel Pentium 4
Speed ~ 3.06Ghz
Ram ~ 2x256 PC-2700
Video ~ Ati 9000 64mb
DVD/CDRW ~ 24x CD-RW 8x DVD
Floppy ~ No
Hard Drive ~ 40Gb
Screen Size ~ 15" , 1600x1200
Weight/Size ~ 9.2Lb's
Age ~ Shipped on 8/12/2003 , 8 months old
Price ~ $1600
Pros ~ Internal wireless card , S-video , Nice and Fast , Good for gaming
Cons ~ Tech support , weight , lil rubber pads on the bottom like to fall off , have to glue them back on
Recommended ~ Yes
Tech Support/ Warranty ~ Tech is pertty bad / 1 yr with the option to buy two more later on

Overal:

Ive had a few things replaced over the 8 months there a pain , but they where fixed fast and free. they where power cord , ram and motherboard. i hate ther tech support since you got to yell at them to get anywhere. but once you do and say you got to ship a part back to them. they ship a box to you over night to pack your stuff in and ship it to them. they pay the shipping. which is pertty cool.

For gaming it rocks , i play UT2003 with no problem. Diablo 2 LOD , but if you cant play that then i dont know.

but other than the 3 problems its been rock solid and a great computer. the wireless is the best. i can roam around the house and now since spring is here i can go outside and chill in the fresh air

take care hope this may help someone

Make: Fujitsu Siemens

Model: AMILO D Series

Preinstalled Software: ALot of unneeded stuff (To me anyway)

Preinstalled OS: XP Home (Ugraded to XP Pro)

Processor (upgradeable? sodered?): AMD M XP2600

Speed: 2Ghz

RAM: 512Mb PC3200

Video (and MB of VRAM): ATi Mobility 9200 64Mb

DVD/CDROM/CDRW: CD Burner and DVDrom

Hard Drive: 40Gb 4200rmp (will upgrade to a 60Gb 7200rmp soon)

Screen Size (image quality, resolution): 15 Inch 1024x768

Weight/Size (fully loaded, bare bones): 3.5KG with Battery

Price: Kr12000 Norwegen (US $1700)

Pros: ATi 9200, PC3200 ram.

Cons: Only 2hrs of Battery life, A little too big for carrying around.

Recommended?: Yes, i love it. I have not had any problems with it, and its been running great.

Tech Support/ Warranty: 3 Years

General Comments: I bought it to replace my 2nd Desktop pc. I needed something i could use around the flat and outside. If i was you ,and going to use it for Studying, i would Go for a Lighter laptop and One with a better Battery Life. I would not like to carry this one all day.
;)

Hope that Helps u in your choose.
oo_7

Make: APPLE
Model: G3 Powerbook
Preinstalled Software: Apple software, photoshop
Preinstalled OS: Apple OS 9
Processor (upgradeable? sodered?): Upgradeable
Speed: 300mhz/1mb L2/66fsb
RAM: 128 standard/512 upgraded
Video (and MB of VRAM): ???
DVD/CDROM/CDRW: DVD Rom
Hard Drive: 10gb 4200rpm
Screen Size (image quality, resolution): 14.1
Weight/Size (fully loaded, bare bones)
Price (at time of purchase and what you would pay for it now):????/???
Pros: It's an apple ;) So the measly 300mhz is pretty fast (reletively)
Cons: Heavy
Recommended: Sure, if you can find one.
Tech Support/ Warranty: Expired long ago

Back