• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you own a laptop, post here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
synthetic_fenix said:
I miss the T20 I had from a previous Job. Used to work for an IBM shop and did onsite repairs and there was a lot of times the Light that was built into the lid to shine on the keyboard came in handy. Also after upgrading the hard drive to a 7200 RPM drive and throwing a gig of memory in, thats was one of the fastest laptops I had worked with. The greatest part about it was the fact it still had a serial port built into it so i could console into cisco equipment.

Sorry to dissapoint you, but the T20 wouldn't run 1 GB of memory. It only runs 512MB. My T23 will, though. (I rebuild T series lappies as a hobby.)

Yes, that 6200 RPM HDD made it run LOTS faster.

steve

Wait yeah your right, I forgot They upgraded me, My first laptop thru the company was a T20, I only upgraded the Harddrive in that one and when the lease ran out on that they upgraded me while i was on vaction, Even swapped over my personally hard drive. And it was the T23 I upgrade the ram in. Thanks for the correction.

I wasn't trying to bust your chops, but to eliminate stuff like," my T20 won't post, if I'm running 2 sticks of 512."

Besides, you can't find low density 512 sticks, and the T20-22 uses low density memory.

(I still like those old Thinkpads, I'm currently rebuilding a T23, and a T21.)

steve

And since the IBM i was talking about is past work laptop that I had to turn in when i moved on. My currect laptop is as follows

* Make = Dell

* Model = Latitude 100L

* Preinstalled Software = A bunch of school crap that I wiped off with a clean install.

* Preinstalled OS = Windows XP Professional

* Processor (upgradeable? sodered?) = Pentium 4 Mobile. Upgradeable as it is Socket 478 i believe. I Have thought about upgrading to a desktop processor.

* Speed = 2.8ghz on load or on battery. 1.6 when conserving battery and low load conditions

* Video (and MB of VRAM) = Video is the Intel Extreme Graphics series 855 with 64MB of onboard memory

* DVD/CDROM/CDRW = Sony DVD Combo drive 24x10x24x16

* Hard Drive = Installed with it was a Fujitsu 30Gb 4200 RPM slow drive. I installed a Hitachi 60GB 7200 RPM drive.

* Screen Size (image quality, resolution) = 14.7" 1024x768

* Weight/Size (fully loaded, bare bones) = Never weighed it.

* Age = Year and a 1/2

* Price (at time of purchase and what you would pay for it now) I Paid $1000 for in to be added to my tuition ($600 less then its MSRP). Now I would probably pay only $700 for it.

* Pros = Its my only laptop, its quick since i upgraded the hard drive and memory.

* Cons = No serial port or printer port. The serial port is more important to me as I use that for Cisco equipment at my current job still.

* Recommended? = I recommend it to ITT Tech students to add it to their tuition if thats the only method they can afford a laptop.

* Tech Support/ Warranty = 3year Dell Gold Service. All my tech support calls dont leave United States call centers.

* General Comments = 4200RPM drives are painfully slow, this is not a gaming laptop by anymeans but it will play UT99, Starcraft, Warcraft III, and Star Treck Starfleet Command III (those are just the games I have on it to pass time on slow nights at work or away) I had the option for a DVD Burner but I rarely Burn anything with my laptop as it as so that would have been a waste.

Make: Acer
Model: Aspire 1522 WLMI
Preinstalled Software:PowerDVD, Acer Tools, MS Works
Preinstalled OS: WinXP Home
Processor (upgradeable? sodered?): AMD 64 3000+ upgradable
Speed 2.0 ghz
RAM: 512 MB (upgradeable)
Video (and MB of VRAM): 64MB NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5700
DVD/CDROM/CDRW: Dual Layer DVD R/W
Hard Drive: 60 gb
Screen Size (image quality, resolution) 15.4″ WXGA Widescreen Display
Weight/Size (fully loaded, bare bones)Not sure but its not to heavy
Price (at time of purchase and what you would pay for it now)£418

Pros: It bounces well when dropped ( dropped it of the back of a motorbike - and its still fine ), overall build quality and feel
Cons: None I can think off

Last edited:
DELL
E1505
CorelPro,Dell junk uninstalled
WindowsXp Media Center w/ Remote
Intel Core Duo T2300 GREEN MEANIE :bang head (upgradeable)
1.66Ghz
1Gb DDR2 @533
ATi Mobility X1300 256M ram @ 435/342
DVD/RW CD/RW
60Gb 7200rpm SATA
15.4" WSXGA UltraSharp TrueLife
light weight
85Wh Battery
NEW

$1,232
Pros: light portable powerful
Cons:To much dell junk pre-installed
I would recommend this laptop very stable and awesome price.
3 year at home warranty
If you are in need of a cheap lappy w/ alot of cool features and capable of actual productivity/gaming this is the one for you.

Last edited:
Back