• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I killed it.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EclipseJP

Well looks like my week 50 TBread 2100 is a dead one. It has some bubbling up on the bottom of the chip. And also It didnt know what kind of processor it is anymore. Darnit now im gunna get a new one from newegg and its gunna be a crappy overclocker. So much for haveing a good chip.:( :mad:

what exactly killed it?im thinking heat as u have bubbling.
and what voltage did u have it at?

is it completly dead? if not im sure someone who folds could underclock it and knock out some work units.

wont be worth much but something and isnt a total loss that way.

sometimes part of the core will be bad and someparts work but in a system wont do some applications like 3d and stuff.

Well I had it at stock voltage but I think that I didnt have the waterblock on all the way.

Thats the only thing i can think of, i had to get REALLY hot to do that...

Well if you see it bubbling that means it had to hit 100 celius which is the boiling point for water. The first thing you should always do is go into your bios and see how high your temps on whenever you install a system as other stuff are very unlikely to fail when booted up right away your cpu on the other hand can go within seconds, minutes etc.

Yodums

Whether or not this directly applies to EclipseJP I don't know, but I would like to say that I agree whole-heartedly with Yodums. You should ALWAYS boot into the BIOS and check your temps every single time you remount your heatsink.

On one occassion, it took me 3 attempts to get my heatsink mounted correctly. I would boot into the BIOS (which is idle) and my CPU temp would start skyrocketing. Finally on the 3rd attempt, the CPU temp looked normal.

Ya usually I do go into the bios and check it out but this time I got lazy being that this is a routine thing. I cant even get the cpu to boot because I keep getting checksum errors when it is in.

Forgot to Plug my fan in once and booted computer. Luckily the bios has an Auto-Off when it gets hot... Tunred it on, minute later it turned itself off. Realized what i'd done and promptly took out chip and put it in the freezer... At the time it seemed like the thing to do, lucky it didn't crack. Works fine though.

I always check the temperature in the bios first thing as well. Once I didn't mount the heatsink properly on my Tbred without knowing, and when I booted up I checked the bios right away and saw that the internal diode temperature was at 95C!

Needless to say I cut the power right away and made sure I did it right.

Back