• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GF4 waterblock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
a chipset wouldnt need much more than an open casm, it will stay nice and cool with just a regular block and flow :) it wont make a diff either way I think.

is it possible to create this modified chipset waterblock where the barbs are on top?

gf41_mod.jpg

you mean take the same block and stick the barbs on top? Im sure theres a way but Im sure it could be done a better way....

Jon

What are the four holes on the corners of the copper base for? Do they go all the way through the base to be used as mounting holes to attach to the card?

Yes, the four holes are for mounting to the video card. Looks very good Jon. I'll bet that thing would even tame the FX!

yeah.... it should work well on FX's GPU... now just waiting jon to make FX's memory waterblock :D and also a modded version for NB... I am just throwing ideas how to turn it into a NB block and I have very very little experience/skill/knowledge about water block design, I am very pumped about this water block design!! I am eager to replace my north bridge water block!

yep, that thing will work on FX too. making ramblocks may be a pain to do, even tho they have the holes for mounting, routing the hoses may be trouble. machining them wouldnt be a problem but the hosebarbs....

about doing a chipset block like this, I see no point in such a high pereformance chipset block, are your temps 60c with yours? you realize chipsets are concave thus only the corners touch the block. you must fill the center in.
Im gonna do up a few bases today, with all the holes, gf4/fx gf3/radeon cards. this is if the metal I cut is large enough :eek: I didnt know I was making these when i cut the metal extra large because I need to squair it up.

Jon,

check my site about the temp testing.... http://8rda.com/page2_4.htm

It shows that 8rda+'s north bridge can go to 60c easily....

Again, it is a great water block you got there! I really want to water cool my Video Card... however.... I guess I will run a seperate system... with a smaller pump and smaller rad for it....

however, now I am watercooling the nb... I got another problem... I cant begin to OC because the NB was too cold initially. I have to wait until the NB is a bit warm like 30c or close to room temp then I can OC hell out of my 8RDA.....

Last edited:
It turns out I only have enough metal for 1 block, enough thatll be the size requirements of 2.25inches. when I cut this I was expecting to do something like a cpu or nb block. Im kinda screwed out of this.... I have a large chunk I can cut maybe 2 bases out of it, Ill give that a shot along with this one.

with watercooling what does yoru NB run? and you mean the nb is too cold? like in its too cool? it hasta warm up to room temp? why is it cold to begin with?

now it is cooled by the zchip made by dangerden.com

when system idle for a long time some how the water temp drop to 20c where as the room temp is like 28c :eek: :eek: :eek: How? I dunno...

I have to run lower OC setting like 12x166 for 1 min then I can run my aggressive OC setting 11.5x222mhz

Great looking block jon! :D Looks like it would do pretty well on a cpu too! (what the hell do I know though :p )

After looking at the block a little more closely, I think I would be concerned about leaking because it only has two screws clamping in the middle. Unless the surfaces are very flat I would expect water to seep out. It either needs an o-ring or more screws. Just my $0.02.:p

theres no way it can get below room temp like that, it aint possible, one of your sensors is for sure off...

and about it leaking, the surfaces are pretty dang flat, being milled and all.... and I have made a few blocks with only 2 screws clamping them, it holds really good for metal, not so well for soft plastic.

Looking good. JFettig and I discussed this earlier and our designs pretty much look alike. Here's my prototype from before Christmas, '02.

hydra-proto.jpg

The yet-to-be-mode final version has much finer channels though and the barbs are repositioned.

The design is sound - but with a few tweaks can be made to give exceptional performance. My version will have 34 x 0.5mm wide channels, with balanced base-depth and fin height.

Good work Jon.

Nice Waterblock!

BTW: Do you know if you can write an article on making water blocks. Like the machienery (sp) and stuff involved? I really want to make waterblocks but don't know how to make them or what I really need.

don't wanna hi-jack jon's thread here, but beware! machining anything, even waterblocks, is a very expensive hobby, much, much more expensive than watercooling or overclocking. While it is sometimes possible to do very good work with very poor tools, it is very difficult to get repeatable parts without good tools. I'll go post a new thread and start a little discussion about this.

that would be one long article, I dont know if Im up to it rite now, Maybe neomoses would be up for something like that?

cathar, whats the point for the mineature channels again? doesnt it come to a point that it wont make a difference in watercooling the gpu? I dont have a lot of experience doing so, I mainly just make the things. I have never watercooled a gpu, just made the blocks. Im almost finished with my gpu block, I just need a new 4-40 tap, and these mineature taps SUCK I broke it off, thats why the block is now mine;)

Jon

Back