• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disable Fastwrites ?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Melhisedek

Well I have Radeon 9500 -> 9700 @ 297/330 and I heard that disableing Fastwrites may increase my performance and my o/c as well. Is there any thruth in this or ? If I disable them in Smartgart will they be disabled for good or just until new drivers or format ?

Any help would be appreciated !
Thanks in advance!

i think it increases stability(when turned off) with a very minimal performance drop, the extra stability will help your overclock and therefor giv u more performance.

Yeah I run with it off as well. If it offers any performance gain at all it is very small. The added stability of having it off is well worth it.

is the stability people see rare or am I the rare minority that sees stability?

I have used it without any hinderence for years...

Well me too. Thing is if I disable fastwrites in Smartgart in display options, ( control panel )
It shows Fastwrites as disabled, but 4x AGP disabled as well :( Is it normal or ???
Is ther other way to disable fastwrites ??? Where do I find it in my BIOS
I have ABIT BD7 II Raid...
Thank you for your time !

ninthebin said:
is the stability people see rare or am I the rare minority that sees stability?

I have used it without any hinderence for years...

everyone tries to get the highest oc, while it is stable... i dont think anyone sits around with their computer crashing all the time. The instability that some people see would not be a direct cause of this setting either - stability can be an issue in general when overclocking so if you want to help your vid card out and possibly avoid problems by disabling a not-too-useful feature, then its just something easy to do. but i wouldnt call it necessary.

Just go into your bios man & look for agp fastwrites & disable that you do not need it... it only creates problems for 80 % of the people out there

Ive used it in the past as well but there is no preformance gain that is worth the posible troubles it can cause

theres no point in using it if you ask me

also you need to check your agp settings in your bios make sure you have it set on 4x

I can't find AGP fast writes in BIOS but I can find AGP settings and they are at 4x
But still Smartgart shows that AGP is off ( not 1, 2 or 4x )

my experience with smartgart is very... well, I'd rather not say it, but it often doesn't work correctly; if you can, use the bios to change fast write.
Does side-band addressing also compromise stability? I've heard a lot of people saying how it's better to disable both, but if someone could confirm this...

Back from the past :)

I have been reading things about turning off Fast write. Like the post above I to do not have any FW settings in my bios. On my old mobo I did but this one does not have anything at all about it. So does it not have FW if I cant trun it on/off in the bios? Also I see people say they turn it off in SmartGard, but all I see is a setting for AGP write and AGP read. Is that the fast write setting they are talking about?

Test them both with 3dmark.. i get better scores with it disabled.. I think people commonly get better performance with it disabled on nForce2 boards and commonly get better performance with it enabled on other types of boards.

Back