• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

13x and UP for 1700+ Tbred-B?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funko

ok, i've searched far and wide but i can't find a way to get the higher multis on the low speed tbred-b's

is it possible to unlock these at all? or must i bite teh bullet and buy a 2100+ tbred b for some 1/4 divder ocing goodness?

when i used to use my shuttle ak31 3.1a i know the highest multi i could get to work on it was the 12.5 multiplier , it showed as 13x in bios i think if i remember right. i never thought of trying the lower multi's (5x and 6x) to see what multi they actually would give, could be that 5x gives 14x, or is it 13x? maybe try those lower multis out with a lower FSB just in case it is 14x or around that and see what happens, i'd go check but i don't "own" that mobo anymore :)

Breaking the last bridge on the L3 might work as it will reset the 8x bit from low to high. However on the XP2100 the middle L3 is also broken (giving the 13 multi) whereas on the XP1700 I think that all bridges are intact on the L3 correct?

thanks guys.. so i guess breaking the last and middle L3 should give me 13x and up

funko said:
thanks guys.. so i guess breaking the last and middle L3 should give me 13x and up
If will definitely give you 13 whether it gives you 13 and up is dependant on your mobo and bios.

He needs it because he only has a 1/4 divider not 1/5. But you are right lowering multi and raising fsb is better as everything is speeded up.

Farleytron said:
JUST THE LAST L3!!! Don't bust the middle one!

AHHH!
But that means he will have 4 closed L3's (1st 4) and one open L3 that does not give you a 13 multi and up - or is the middle L3 already open? Remember his mobo probably doesnt recognise all five bits. It is highly unlikely that his board will recognise it especially as it is quite old (KT266A)

Last edited:
ugh maybe i should just get the 2100+ blah since someone in the shuttle forum confirmed that it'll post at 20x100, so i figure i could mess around starting from there

You can get a definite 16 multi on your chip if you blow 3 bridges - (2nd, 4th and 5th) but your call - I really dont think just blowing the last bridge will work for your board I think your only options for 13 and above are for fixed multis.
Edit blowing 3rd, 4th and 5th will give you a fixed multi of 17.

hmmm thanks for everyone's help...oc detective esp..

but i think since there isnt enough of a knowledge base to support any kind of decision to go with the 1700+, i think i'll bite teh bullet and spend the $40 on a 2100+ and save myself a lot of headache, not to mention unlocking and locking materials which would also cut down teh cost difference thanks!

There is no guarantee that it will be unlocked on your Shuttle though - you may still need to make mods - best check that site you were talking about.

Just checked on the Shuttle site support is only given up to XP2100 for your mobo (according to bios updates) which means palominos only so make sure you are 100% certain it will work.

OC Detective said:

But that means he will have 4 closed L3's (1st 4) and one open L3 that does not give you a 13 multi and up - or is the middle L3 already open? Remember his mobo probably doesnt recognise all five bits. It is highly unlikely that his board will recognise it especially as it is quite old (KT266A)

Very good advice OCD, as C-C-C-C-O is the setting for 3X for Mobile CPUS in the battery saving Power Now mode. It is problematic whether that setting would even post or boot...and even if you were quick enough to get into the bios to reset the Multiplier to the desired 13X and up range, it is not certain that you'd have that option...might be right back where you started.

The "general point" is that you must always consider how the 1st 4 bridges are set when you open the 5th L3 to try to get bios access to 13X and up. Continuing...where 3X-4.5X = all Mobile Power Now settings.

1700 = 11X + 5th L3 Open = 3X, no boot??
1800 = 11.5X + 5th L3 Open = 3.5X, Reserved, might Remap to 19X.

1900 = 12X + 5th L3 Open = 4X, no boot??
2000 = 12.5X + 5th L3 Open = 4.5X, Reserved, might Remap to 20X.

http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/index.htm link to Tbred article, see Table of settings for complete listing of these and "other Reserved" settings in the high range you might not want to set..like 14.5X might not boot or might Remap to 21X, 15.5X might Remap to 22X....others to 24X.

Thanks for opening the door OCD.
John C.

Back