• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compressor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That looks like serious overkill to me.
Note that it uses 460volt power :eek:
Also note that it is sold *as is* - if it dosent work your SOL

I suppose if you want ludicris temps thats the way to go :D

IMHO your better off getting a normal 1/4-1/2 hp compressor. I guess theres no price on braggin rights tho.

yeah the only problem with it personally is the power. How the hell do you get a 460 volt line? Anyone have any ideas or is there a way around this? I am going to talk to the guy that is selling this and see if he has perhaps a "lite" version hehe. Anyways anyone have any insight on what this thing could do?

Its *possible* (but i dont think easy) to chain normal outlets togeather. Where are you located? I know in the us, the outlets for the washer/dryer are 220v- in a country with normally high voltage power maybe they are 460?- just a thought.

That thing looks to be about 20-30 times what is really needed to cool a computer. It could probably cool an entire computer lab.

Well i am located in phoenix,AZ and i have access to 220 volt lines so maybe i could works something with that. The only reason i am looking at this is i want to be able to use something like argon or r14 without a cascade system. In order to do that I need a compressor that can put out a huge amount of pressure and this looked like a worthy candidate.

dont even think about that compressor, its WAY too big and you still wouldnt be able to use argon with it anyways. 460v is a TON of power, my dad uses that type of power for running large electric motors, you would not like your power bill if you could get the 460volts. :D there are cheaper compressors for sale on ebay, all of them are 220v but are a lot cheaper than that.

Yeah good luck getting 3 phase industrial power to run that thing.
You can not condense low stage refrigerants such as ethane, methane, argon, nitrogen, helium, hydrogen, dueterium, whatever you are trying to use.You need a cascade system, they have low critical points, therefore they will not condense from pressure alone.

3 phase power... not availible in homes, only in comercial/industrail places. to bring into a home could cost the thick end of a quarter million dollars

Thats a bit more like it- but i have seen good 1/2hp compressors go for under $50 on ebay- the reserve on that one is probalbly over $100 judging on the buy it now price.

the only way to 460 3ph is to by a 3ph 1/3 bigger 220 motor and a transformer. the motor will make funny 3rd faze and the transformer will chang voltage. i hope you can aford elect bill

that one is still way too big, there is no way you would need 40k btus of cooling power just on one computer, now maybe like 20 computers is more like it. It still requires a 220v line and your electic bill will be that of a house AC system.

look for a compressor with a Btu rating of like 1000 to maybe 10,000. Not that you cant have more but I doubt it would make a difference in temps instead noise and electric bill will go up. Im looking for a 3000 btu one myself.

Yes a bigger compressor will make a differance in temps.If it can pull a nice vacuum that is.It will be noisy and suck alot of juice though.

Yeah i found this decent, new 1/2 hp compressor that i might get. Seems like a good deal for 25$ plus its plenty powerful for perhaps a cpu and water chiller (ala bowman's current project).

hey guys,

I got one that says ph 1 , and 140 btu not enough right?:(

does it matter if is from an fridge or airconditioner?

Last edited:
Yeah 140btu is extremely low.PH 1 is a power rating, 1 phase power(regular house power).
What was it from?Most refrigerators(real refrigerators, not mini fridges) have enough power.

Back