• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Command to lock hard drive???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slogan

I heard there is a command to lock your hard drive up... so that when u move your HD around the disk doesnt rotate and move and scratch it up and stuff... but it is some command, my teacher told me about this and im jsut wondering if any of you knew how to do it.. thanks

The arm locks when the drives stops (the clunking noise on some older drives). But an actual breaking mechanism for the platters... not sure if it exists. I've never heard about it.

What you are thinking of is the "Park" command... http://www.pcwebopedia.com/TERM/p/park.html In the old days of 286s and 386s, they had a DOS program that would "park" your heads for you because it wasn't done automatically. Basically it just moved the heads to a spot on the disk where no data was stored, so when the drive stopped spinning, the heads could land on an area that wouldn't cause damage. Nowadays its all automatic.

lol, "wait dad, I gotta park the computer" lol

whoa buddy. pull your computer into a prking spot...jeez.

brings up some wierd mental images.

Back