• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Solution to RAID booting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asmodean

I'm still trying to get rid of WinME and install Mandrake linux. The only thing that's holding me back is booting into Win2k.

I did a search on "boot kt7 raid w2k" and found a thread started by Daniel~, saying it's nigh impossible to boot w2k from KT7A-R's RAID-drives. I'd like to know IF it could be done, without less hassle than moving my w2k disk to the VIA-controller and doing a clean install. :(

My current setup is as follows:
4G Seagate on VIA(ide0 master), WinME
Samsung DVD on VIA(ide1 master)
45G IBM on HTP, W2k

It'll boot into the Dual-Boot menu, if I change the boot device from HDD0 to ATA100RAID, but w2k complains it not being able to find stuff on the IBM. :(

Thank you in advance.

I think you would get along better if both drives were identical i.e. two IBMs.

I am having little problems understanding you config, but if I got this right you are currently booting off the small seagate drive, and win 2k is installed on single IBM attached to the hpt controller.

If so the boot sector for win2000 is located on the small drive so there is no boot infos on the big one even though the OS is there.

Btw you can see in hpt bios the name for your hdd, if you got single drive it has name like : hdd x , x=0.1.2.. Only if you are using RAID config should you choose boot from ' ATA100-raid'.

Booting off the HPT controller is easy, weather you use RAID or not.

I think win2k will always try to mount its boot sector on hdd0, therefore you probably need to remove the ide1 hdd before installing win2k on drives attached to the HPT controller.

Good luck

I've used w2k:s Disk Management, as recommended by someone here (sorry, can't remember your name), to mark the IBM's boot-partition active.
After that, I set the boot-drive in the BIOS to RAID and in RAID BIOS to the IBM. The DualBoot-menu came up fine from the IBM, but upon starting to load the OS (w2k), it just throws an error to my face, saying it can't find something on "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)". It's partition 3 because I've reserved 128M for linux swap and 512M for windows swap.
I'll try to boot it again from the IBM in 5 min, as the SP2 is installed, hopefully fixing things...

<update start>
Doesn't work... If trying to boot with the selection "multi(0)disk...", it says there's a controller config (or some such) problem. No luck.
Booting with a line that says "D:\WINNT" (see the partition stuff), it cannot find <winntsystem>\system32
toskernel.exe. My current \WINNT is G, but removing the seagate would push it down to D. I'll try it with G:\WINNT soon.
<update end>

For why do I wan't to boot of the HPT, I'm planning on RAIDing it sometime in the future. I know, it's not necessary to go for the HPT immediately, but I tought I'd get to know it better this way. Sure have. :)

Thanks!

Problem solved, finally! My ADSL went dead last night, so I spent some time trying to figure it out, to no avail.
Tried today with WinME, worked fine, so I decided to reinstall Win2k from scratch. Now it boots fine from the HPT controller.
Annoying to have to re-tune w2k, though.

Back