• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Learn it Yourself: C++ Course

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Programming is just a cool hobby of mine. I've written a little Borland Turbo Pascal 5.0 Microsoft VB 6.0 (VBA also) and some perl. How's the learning curve in C++ compare to the others mentioned? Is it worth it?

Can you in devc++ make a mini programme that scans your pc, so i could make a log of what it should look for then it would scan the pc or just the memory.

When i try to use my source code in a windows application or console application i either get an error and it stops the compiling or i cant open the compiled .exe file.

Last edited:
fstream

ok...how do i check if there is a file already made.....like if i want to make a save file thingy....

if(playername-file-thingy)!=0)
create a new one!

can ya help me?

Um...IDK about your specific problems, but if you make your own thread asking the same questions posted here, then you are much more likely to get answers, almost no one reads the stickys.

I took a C++ Course in school and this thread is more useful than the class I took.

Thanks a lot Frodo this really helped my understanding of C++

C++ Guide

Sorry, but I am quite busy right now. Although, I will read this guide soon, and maybe give you some comments about what to add. I don't know if you have this yet, but maybe you should post some example programs for people to compile.....Just a suggestion.

hey thanks a lot man.. this is great...
i've just started a c++ class

only bad thing is its on emacs... with apple project builder... slow as heck... i'm sitting there typing "// insert your name here" wait a few seconds... wait... wait... "//" then... ... ... .... ... "i" ... ... .... ... ... . "n" ... well you get the picture.
it's probably cause theyre macs on a mainly windows network but i would think that it would work better no matter. (project builder is installed on each computer, not remotely served tho)

the first week we couldnt log on (people from my school) but the people at the west school could... macs urgh... :bang head

Last edited:
Nice guide, thanks.
Just wondering, is it possible to manipulate BIOS (binary file) and add or change values? lets say I want to change my fsb limit to 400 and multiplier to 25 or add/change vcore vdim. would the bios corrupted or accept changes and reflected in BIOS when I go to bios settings?

Damn good guide... All I know is VB.NET and C#.(and some html)
I'm just starting with C++ and this should be some help.

Now make a C++ OpenGL and OpenAL programming guide! All I know is D3D_9 and D3D_10... and DirectX 10 is disturbingly easy... but it has a lot of bloat.

And show us how to program custom shaders in OpenGL and D3D with C++. :p

STICKY STUFF!

Last edited:
Shell said:
Damn good guide... All I know is VB.NET and C#.(and some html)
I'm just starting with C++ and this should be some help.

Now make a C++ OpenGL and OpenAL programming guide! All I know is D3D_9 and D3D_10... and DirectX 10 is disturbingly easy... but it has a lot of bloat.

And show us how to program custom shaders in OpenGL and D3D with C++. :p

STICKY STUFF!

I am thinking of writing a simple OpenGL tutorial simple to Nehe's, but with the use of like FreeGlut.

ShadowPho said:
I am thinking of writing a simple OpenGL tutorial simple to Nehe's, but with the use of like FreeGlut.
I've been trying to figure out for ages... what's the best OpenGL.lib?

CSGL is dead, but it's great, Tao Framework is not as perfect... but it's easy thanks to sourceforge being stuffed full of materials to work off... and I have not used FreeGlut hardly at all.

I don't know which to use. :shrug:

Shell said:
I've been trying to figure out for ages... what's the best OpenGL.lib?

CSGL is dead, but it's great, Tao Framework is not as perfect... but it's easy thanks to sourceforge being stuffed full of materials to work off... and I have not used FreeGlut hardly at all.

I don't know which to use. :shrug:

Those names sound fun, I should try them out lol. FreeGlut works for me....

YO FRODO!

I can't get your compiler to work! No matter what I do I just get the same error:
C:\Dev-Cpp\C++ Stuff\D3D\Makefile.win [Build Error] [Main.o] Error 1
it gives me the same thing with everything, and I'm positive I have the thing set up.

I hate MicroShaft's-annoying-contraption-of-a-C++-compiler! I have .NET 6.0 2003... I wish I had 2005...

Yeah i gotta agree about learning the basics, even though i dislike C++ it was the first language i learnt and it set the basics for the myriad of web developmnt languages i work with each day, javascript, asp, php, css, xml, xsl, .net etc...

without C++ i never would have realised just how much all these languages rely off the basics principles of prior languages like C++ like loops, variables and functions. If your good at C++ and understand it then the rest of the languages are a cake walk. (cept maybe java)

so what im saying is,, learning c++ will teach you much more about programming then just the syntax of that one language.

;)

Back