• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

modding injurys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ghost68 said:

2 questions...
1.) does it work? (ex stop bleeding so you can continue to work)
2.) does it hurt

i think i may have just found the cure to my electrical tape shortage problem hehe, i can finally use it for electronics rather than wrapping finger wounds hehe

I thought I was the only one that still used elec tape for that. My dad showed me how to that when I was like 5 years old.

The sweet thing was that I passed a car on the way down

LoLZ!

But my worst injurys with computers is sticking my fingers into fans ... especially when I break fan blades off! Like my 9.2cm. Panaflo ... broke 2 blades off with my finger!

LoL, sharp edges are bad too ...

I think it has to be fans for me. I am one of those guys that does not shut down my system unless I really have to. I had skin taken off of my knuckles so many times I cant count anymore. Other scratches from newly cut blow-holes and slipped screw drivers, my most recent was squeezing needle noze plyers to crimp some wirring connectors and they slipped and pinched a finger so hard that I got a giant blister. Made it really hard to type for a few days.

Well... it's not neccessarily a modding injury, but the worst geek injury I've ever had. Was moving a 48 pound monitor from my car to a lan party. I was wearing sandals and was on a hill and my grip slipped as I got it out of the car. Thought I got out of the way but the leading edge caught the top of my foot and well... 3 screws later this is what it looks like. Warning though... not a pretty sight so don't look if you are squeamish.

http://www.theforumisdown.com/uploadfiles/0103/Left side of foot.JPG

http://www.theforumisdown.com/uploadfiles/0103/Right side of foot.JPG

Strangely enough, since my foot umm "broke" the monitors fall, all it had was a few scratches on the side from rolling and sliding down the street some. For those curious as to what the injury was, it's called a Liz Frank fracture where the supporting middle meda tarsal (sp?) breaks and the supporting ligaments tear from the bone. When that happens the whole arch of your foot falls and flattens out. I'm told it's the absolute worst injury that can be done to a foot. They said I was lucky because I only had minor breakage, dislocation, and trauma to the ligaments. They tore cleanly without fraying and snapping back up.

This happened about 9 months ago and I'm just now after 3 surgeries and 6 months of being in casts and in crutches or wheel chairs finally now back up and walking. I can even run and jump a little but not yet like I used to be :(

Anyone that says being a geek was a safe thing to be never tried toting around slippery, heavy, awkward sized objects all the time just to play a bit of unreal at a lan party.

CrystalMethod said:

1- Yes it does work.
2- No it doesn't hurt.

I used to use the stuff when I was washing cars for a living. I tried everything, band-aids (water proof ones), electrical tape, duct tape, etc... Super glue was the only thing I could go for a full day without having to stop every 15 mins and re-bandage myself.
yep its all good what was nice was where I use to work we had big jars of the stuff to super glue parts and we only used about 80% of the glue in the jars so most of us at work would make big jars out of the little ones (couldn't re use in the machines) and take them home I had one leak in a closet once about a pint or so needless to say I had a nice brick of boxes when I found it a few days later :p

i had heard that the DOD(deptartment of defense, in the usa) devoloped Super Glue as a field medic fix so that you could get away from using staples or stiches but i dont know about the truth on this, it was told to me buy another Staff Sgt in the Ranger group i was attached to for a few months. but i love the stuff and it works fast on small cuts i allways keep a few toobs in my tool kit :)

blackhabit said:
340Duster i did the exact same thing but it was not mine i was putting together my friends computer and slip a nice scratch was only seen by me ( i prayed that it would boot)no problem at all , yeah!!!

See it first started when I broke a blade off of the HSF, then after I stabbed the mobo replacing it, it wouldn't boot... got a new mobo it wouldn't do anything, thought I cracked the core. Put CPU back in old board it boots cept windows crashed somehow, all I had to do was reload everything.:D

Sheesh, you guys are clutzy. I get the occasional scrape or cut but I've never gashed open anything while working on computers. The worst I've gotten is an itchy pepper burn from two different PSUs on the same day.

The only BAD tool-related injury I've ever had was the time I cut my inky open down to the tendon after working around some bolts I have just cut down to a shorter length. I bled so much I nearly passed out.

i was doing some slodering about a year ago and i left my soderig iron on ( i was gonna come right back) well my roommate started working at my desk so i told him to unplug the soldering iron he said OK i came back to my desk about 4 hours later looking for something well my freind had buried my (still plugged in) soldering iron under some papers (how they didnt catch on fire after 4 hours totally baffels me) well i found what i was looking for it fell behing my desk so i put one hand down on my desk (right smack on to the soldering iron) to supprot myself as i reached behind the desk... well after putting all my weight onto my hand and grabbing the thing behind the desk i smell something burning.... i got a 1/2" by 3" second degree burn on the palm of my right hand that was by far the most painful thing that had ever happened to me

Thumb in a Delta screamer with no grill. Blew blood through the heat sink and then all over the mobo. Didn't burn anything out, though. But, cleaning out the heatsink was quite a task.

there was some mod i was doin, i think it was my 92mm to 80mm adapter, that i had cut my finger on a piece of aluminum, didnt feel it but it bled like crazy for a lnog azz time.

always cut myself when i open up the case to anything more than turning the cold cathode on or off
a tornado fan got my finger once, and lesser fans but they dont hurt as much :p

the best one so far is when I was relocating the huge transistors attached to the heatsinks. I was extending them with wide gauge wires and apparently I shifted one slightly so it touched the metal heatsink. So, I finished, flicked the switch and it worked!!!! for about a second. I heard a POP and felt a sharp pain in my arm. I looked down and saw a small cut in my arm and the plastic cover off one of the transistors was GONE. there was a char mark around the transistor on the heatsink. That was sooooo cool :cool:.

The WORST one was when I got my finger jammed in a 60mm thermaltake 10k rpm fan. I splattered blood all over my hard drive (the thing it was cooling) and out the front bezel. I chopped half the tip of my finger off in that one.

I've been lucky/careful so far. Chipped fingernails, broken fingernails, scorched fingernails, otherwise damaged fingernails, and the stray minor cut, but no serious injuries. I keep my fingernails long to protect my fingertips from such things as soldering irons, drills, knife blades, and slipping screwdrivers.

Back