• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

modding injurys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
While I was playing around inside the case with the computer on, I noticed some wires dangeling over the CPU fan, I reacted quickly and saved the wires but replaced them with my thumb, 80 mm YS Tech went full stop as it tried to chop off my digit. It hurt a lot, no blood. :p

heh i was attacked by my soldering iron when i was doin the afterburner mod to my gba .....well ok i dropped the resistor that comes with the kit and set my forearm down on the iron hurt like hell but kinda funny now that i think of it left a nice scar too :)

Almost forgot. Dropped hot sloder on my leg, wearing shorts. Melted a nice hole

lots of finger chops from 5000rpm Volcano 7 fan, had blood pooring from finger on sharp edges etc, oh and i dropped my case(full tower) on my toe the other week, that was pretty painful.

And tools, lol, ive stabbed myself with screwdrivers from slipping, removed skin with angle grinder, and burned myself with the soldering iron......

hehe

as Slug said you guys are major klutzes =)

worst i've done is scratch up my arms and hands on the corners of PCI and AGp cards.

btw, i stick my fingers into moving fans all the time and don't even get scratched... what's wrong with you all? =)

wana no whats funny i was cutting wires for my computer and i cut my frigging fingernail omg lucky me i almost cut my finger off with those paper cutting thingy or what ever u call them

Too many(shocked, cut/gashed, pinched, ect)... I am also not a clutz, some stuff happened because of others.

------FUNNIEST ONES-------------
1. Well I was fixing my lil bro's PC @ a garage LAN party after an IDE cable died (it was an old one). Well I had to knock out a 5 1/4" steel EMI shield and I guess the dang thing cut me. After I finished I saw a few big blobs of where blood had dripped. I was thinking oh crap so I asked the guy in charge (hes a cool guy) if he had any paper towels or something. Well all he had was a rag so I made due. It was hard playing Battlefield with a rag as a bandaid. ;) :p :rolleyes:

2. (very close to 1) The other was having 120V running through me and lighting a flourescent bulb (long tube kind). I was ok just glad the power went to somthing else and didnt end @ me or I would have been in deep trouble.

EDIT: The light bulb thing was not a science experiment I have seen done b4. Part of the fixture had metal exposed with power going through it.

just one (recently) less than an hour ago I was trying to pry off a glue component in a PSU (damn you generic MFR), the thing gave way and my hand slipped into the case, shaving the skin (about 1-2mm) off the back of my knuckles of my right hand and gouging deeps cuts into the fingers of my left hand.. had to wait for about an hour for it to stop bleeding..(as well as cleaning blood off case, screw driver, nearby fan, table and floor :eek: ) and went back to modding it..or 'editing' it rather. unfortunately i need some different screws to mount the new fans so cant finish it till tommorow (well..technicaly its today, 12:20 AM or whatever) so I figured Id hit the boards for a bit :)

I just looked at my hand and remembered another. I was drilling some rivets out of a case and drilled into the base of my left thumb closer to the wrist than the thumb. still have a nice scar too. It went about 3/8th inch into my hand :eek:. luckily it only got the back of the heel of my hand.

Just remembered one other minor injury.

I was testing the inverter for my CCFLs with the casing off (can't remember why...) and hit the solder side of it with the palm of my hand (can't remember why...). It felt really weird and left two small scorch marks on my hand. No scar though.

Noticing that my system wasn't booting for some reason, like a moron I removed the CPU heatsink and started up the system, I saw it still wasnt booting so I shut it down and touched the cpu and burned my left index finger.

w00t I am a frikkin genius!!

*edit* I wasn't even modding so ignore this.. but hey I'm bound to injure myself when I start modding for extensive cooling to get ready for the hotter weather!

I have also tried feeding my fan(see sig) As some one above said I am also pretty lazy and do not turn off the comp unless something goes wrong. So when I remove my fan filter to clean it I dont shut the fan down, Well if you are not careful those bolt holes are hard to find and BBBBUUUUZZZZZZZZ. Ripped a hole through my filter and my thumb.

Stupid me, At least now I shut off the fan for a min to put the filter on now.

war wounds!

Well...I have had several of the normal cuts, but i think this tops them all. Me and my friend were working on his new motherboard...and his new motherboard was grounding out to the chassis of the case...anyway...we stuck his AMD T-Bird 1.33 ghz into his old one...and we didn't have a heat sink or fan on the processor...we turned on the board for 1-2 seconds...literally...just to see if the board was bad. Anywho...me...like a D.A. wanted to see if the processor was hot, so I stuck my birdie finger on the CPU core, and burned the holy S**T outta my finger...I gurantee it was at least 300 degrees F. I still have a wound there and it has been two-three weeks. I'll try and take a photo tonight and post...also...my other injury was when I was putting in a case fan...and my ring finger hit the the blade...basically chopped the end of the skin off...its healed back now though...I'll post pics tonight.

hmmm well, i was dremmeling once and someone tripped over the cord - pulling the dremmel out of my hand and the cutter disk drove across my arm - cutting and burning me at the same time...i still have two long line scars from over 6 months ago...

other than that, its just been busted and sliced knuckles...nothing fancy

Mines fairly good:

I was soldering, and I dont remember how but the cord got pulled on so it got yanked out of my hand, slightly burning me at that point, and since it was than falling I caught it out of reflex and ended up grabing the end, burning myself again. After this happened I than threw the thing up in the air, and once again it was falling so of course i had to catch it(I was really out of it that day), once again I caught the end, burning myself yet again, than after that I had learned my lesson and just dropped the thing....right onto my foot. After that I was laughing for hours at myself and the way that I managed to do that, wish I had caught it on tape.

Ouch, Ardneh. I was trying to get the extra wires out of my PSU to clean up my case. They were wanting to melt, so I was pushing the iron firmly against the solder to try and get it to melt. It finally slipped and got me right across the 2nd knuckle on my thumb. It was only a split second. It didn't even really hurt at the time. But it started hurting a lot more later. It didn't blister, I just had a bit of dead, white skin where it got me. It did form a nice scar there, there was a depression from the burn after the skin came off, but it's only been a few weeks so far.

Ok I got a few to shar....

First, One time I was working on my friends new computer, everything was new and in the box it came in. So I pull out the case, and it was one of those cases where the metal bay inside is really hard to get out.. So stupid ol' me takes a screw driver and jams the thing into the metal bay, well the screw driver went through the metal and my hand sliced across the bay area removing a lot of skin and getting blood all over the place.

Second, One time I was carrying my dads SERVER with brand new stuff and I dropped it (he never found this out) right smack on my foot, it took off my toenail and left a nice bruise.

Third, One time I accidently got my finger caught in a 4800 RPM Panaflo ultra highspeed fan...Well the fan totally broke (all the blades flew off) and my finger wasnt happy either, it was crying Red, if u get what im saying.

Finally, Today I was mounting my slk-800 and the screwdriver slipped and my knuckles scraped across that heatsink edge, oh man, was that ever so painful, blood all over the motherboard, looks pretty cool though.

So those are my WW3 with my computer injuries.:rolleyes:

Back