• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

modding injurys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
delta 80cfm'r need i say more? well wow that burns!!
countless screwdriver,dremel,x-acto,scissors,sheet metal,metal splinters,cut up pop cans(cheapo ducts),boiling hot plastic adn sticky hot plastic from dremel cutting, electrical shock(dont let ur friend take his ccd out of the tube and then turn it on when ur touching it/ u see this little wire runs up the side and well les jsut say ZZZAAAPPP. try it u might like it.),fire(yes on an old at case i had some bare wires touch and the insulation actually kinda uh caught on fire),ect

well u get the idea and there are plenty more i would like to say however superglue is a great clotting material for a cut but so is table salt try it. works great! i do it jsut about daily its like oh sh|t i cut my hand *runs to kitchen finds salt* [dump] wow that burns!!!! awww all better now...

[EG]~NaTz~ said:
...........fire(yes on an old at case i had some bare wires touch and the insulation actually kinda uh caught on fire),ect........

I had a fire once as well.. I was (being dumb as usual) running a PSU without its top cover on in order to test it and such (which wasnt working too well to begin with). I was doing t\some work around it and reched for some screws to mount a fan on a nearby case. the screws (about 7 of them )happened to slip out of my hand JUST as I passed over the PSU.. they shorted several things (who knows what) and as UI found out earlier..shorting it to the case as well. I saw a spark then several of the wires starting to smoke, leading then to flames. Once again without thinknig I quickly unpluged it from the mobo picked up the psu and hurdled it, 20 feet from my desk out the open door inot a convenient snowbank.. it pulled with it, 2 case fans, a floppy drive, the power strip it was plugged into and a plier or two that got tangled in the wire as I slung it. I recieved 2nd degree burns on my fignertips from touching the case (once it shorted). as far as damage, the PSU was dead (obviously) and the floppy drive shattered on the pavement, thankfully nothing else was damaged. That was quite an experience...as was trying to explain to my parents what had happened... :D

side note: done with PSU mod and was able to avoid zapping myself...which I am happy about :D

pik4chu said:
I had a fire once as well..

Youch!!!! closest I've come to a fire was when my pump sprung a leak, and since the pump was on top of the PSU, well you get the idea.

All of the sudden I've got great big blue sparks flying out the back of the PC and the smell of exploding capcitors, and then BANG, circuit breakers blow.

One Dead 400Watt PSU, but everything else survived.

LOL, scared the [expletive deleted] out of me for a second.

Paul.

I'm proud to say that I've gotten my first modding war story, just a few hours ago. I was on here, reading this thread, actually, and checking people's mods. I got the idea to stealth my cd drives. So I popped the front panel off of my acer 56x cd-rom, found the stock 5.25 faceplate for my green Chieftec Dragon. I clipped off the tabs, but it was still "sticking" in place, so I had to cut off the side tracks on the faceplate. Out comes the kitched filet knife (can't think of anything sharper). Well, I was on the phone, not paying attention, and <slip> literally fileted my right index finger's knuckle. Its a nice wound, about a half-inch across, with a pretty 2mm flap of skin. Was kinda messy, but I finished my mod, it doesn't look -too- bad. I couldn't set my drive back any further, the stealth plate is about 1-2mm out further than the others, not sure If I like it :p

Most Painful - Drilling switch hle (7/16" hole) and drill goes about 4mm into hand.

Stupidest (aka Most Shocking) - Doing PSU Mod for a friend, cleaning up cables and putting in LED Fan. When I had finished all my soldering, I plugged it in and clipped the ATX connector to get it to turn on. When I saw it was working, I hit the rocker switch and pulled the clip out of the connector. Then i noticed a ziptie inside the case. Reached in to get it and ZAP! My hand shorted one of the caps and threw me back on my happy ***. now I remember to unplug PSUs! :D

However, I am the king of chewed up knuckles from fans. My puter has 5 80x38 Sunons and on 92mm panaflow. and I HATE to shut down.

ouch x3

I'll post a picture of a finger injury if someone will help me upload/post it.

Cut my finger, right through the nail, and bled like there was no tomorrow.

Adding another injury.. bit of electrical shock while testing a PSU setup for my current monitor mod, wasnt too bad. just a few blisters. But it scared the ***l outa me lol

i thought that i was going to have a fire just the other day. when i was doing my backlighting of my keyboard i yanked the glow wire a little to hard and the cord that is factory soldered to the glow wire part broke and when i turned the light on i was real loud and then i notice the sparkes and the smell too from the broken solder part well i fix it and it works fin but scared me because the computer system speaker went crazy. well glad i didn't break anything i couldn't fix

Oh boy the memories hehe

Cut my hand cutting my case window with a hand saw, didnt have dremel that day hehe.

Shocked myself 3 times when installing a cold cathode.

Cut my wrist when removing motherboard.

My 19inch CRT dropped on my foot while I was cleaning my desk. Was so mad that i kicked the monitor and made it go BOOM :).

TheCor4D said:
Should be a rule that you must include a picture in order to post *grin*

Someone get kodak to fix my camera and Ill give you some pics :p

last night while creating a sorta powerbus for monitor electronics, I had a cutting wheel exlpode, a piece of it ripping through my arm..bled like a motha' if I can get a camera maybe Ill post it up.....with pics of my finished mods of course :D :p

Wow now I feel lucky all that has happened to me is a light shocking from not connecting the power right then fiddling with the cords.

I dropped the computer on my gecko when i was taking it from the garage back inside after i painted it. R.I.P. T-Dawg (my gecko's name):(

Besides some minor niks from jagged fresh cut edges , the worst I've had was when I was using a reinforced cutting wheel on my "high-speed" dremel,(35,000rpm),and it flew apart in my face.
If I hadn't been wearing safety glasses my username would be one-eye. One chunk about the size of my "pinky" fingernail did stick in my forehead.It was so hot it cauterized the wound.
I consider this a minor wound as well, considering the fact that I used to do "fire-brick" work, and when running a jackhammer against an iron "fin" I had a 2inch longx8th inch wide peice of white hot metal,(jackhammer bit), drive itself an inch and a half into my throat. That one cauterized itself also, but the sharp edge cut me when I pulled it out. My co-worker who was looking on almost passed out.lol

LittlePiggie said:
the best one so far is when I was relocating the huge transistors attached to the heatsinks. I was extending them with wide gauge wires and apparently I shifted one slightly so it touched the metal heatsink. So, I finished, flicked the switch and it worked!!!! for about a second. I heard a POP and felt a sharp pain in my arm. I looked down and saw a small cut in my arm and the plastic cover off one of the transistors was GONE. there was a char mark around the transistor on the heatsink. That was sooooo cool :cool:.

Not mod related but I was at work as a repair tech and this guy brought in his computer for us to look at... so I hooked it up in front of him to get a preliminary diagnosis of the problem. I flipped the switch and the computer strangely turned itself off. So I figured.. eh.. turned it back on... 2 seconds later I hear a very loud as you said, pop followed by billowing smoke out of the guys psu... I then decided his problem was a power problem lol

pauldriver said:

Youch!!!! closest I've come to a fire was when my pump sprung a leak, and since the pump was on top of the PSU, well you get the idea.

All of the sudden I've got great big blue sparks flying out the back of the PC and the smell of exploding capcitors, and then BANG, circuit breakers blow.

One Dead 400Watt PSU, but everything else survived.

LOL, scared the [expletive deleted] out of me for a second.

Paul.

That worries me about watercooling and leaving the comptuer running unattended:eek:

Back