• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

modding injurys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if that is your case under your name there, then at least the paint job works with your explosive motif... LOL

I had a heavy duty wheel on my dremel copy(black & decker) explode in my face. Luckily i was wearing my airsoft mask.
Brass eagle saved my life!

I burned my hand a couple weeks ago while I was making a watercooling unit for my harddrives using a blowtorch. Accidentally pointed the lit torch in the wrong direction.

I dropped the computer on my gecko when i was taking it from the garage back inside after i painted it. R.I.P. T-Dawg (my gecko's name)

lol that could not have been pretty. i hope someone would drop a computer on that "GEIKO NOT GECKO" gecko.

Nimps said:
I dropped the computer on my gecko when i was taking it from the garage back inside after i painted it. R.I.P. T-Dawg (my gecko's name):(

Aw man, that sucks. One more reason that my gecko stays safely in the aquarium when I mod my stuff. :D

has anyone here never hurt themselves modding lol?

i havent but sure enjoyed some of ur stories :p

never been injured in modding a case but been injured moving one .
most of my injuries either come from a psycho ex wife or from actual war wounds ( yes i have a purple heart and wish i never got it)

I feel like I've really joined the club now. Just had my first modding injury today. I was hooking up a new fan to make sure it worked and find out which side pushed the air. Well I was just holding the fan in my hand (dumb) instead of having it mounted because I have to dremel a hole to mount it.... anyway I had a finger curled a little too far inside the fan. Not a bad cut, it didn't really even hurt, but it's an annoyance because it's a vital finger for playing bass guitar and my band is playing tonight.

*applies more super glue*

just got my first moding injury, i was working on the insides with the PC on and a fin hapened to get its lil tip inbetween my finger and my nail.... you can tell from there, my nail flew across the room :'(
of course lñeaving blood all around the fan

Aside from the normal scrapes of owning a cheap case, I was removing the molex from my hdd one time.. It refused to come off, so I would wiggle it and tug real hard.. then it just all of a sudden let go and the heel of my hand went right into the corner of my vid card. Not too fun.. Happened last month and I've still got a lil scar from it.

Another dumb moment.. I was little, and running in the back yard.. ran next to the fence and brushed up against the rose bushes. Looked down at my arm, and noticed I had 6 or so thorns stuck into my arm. I thought it was really cool at the time. Still got scars from that one... heh

*starts singing* This is the thread that never ends... it goes on and on my friends..

lets see i was building some comps for a class in school and cut myself 3 times yes three times on the darn punchouts. put my finger in a fan accidently that hurt but didnt break the skin. dremel cut off wheel thing shattered and cut my arm. cut myself on my mobo when switching cases(not exactly sure how that one happened). nailed my head on a door frame when going downstairs w/my monitor. luckily haven't shocked myself. after reading this thread my psu scares me. There are countless more injuries but i cant remember them.

oh there was this other time wehn i was like 6 or 7 years old i was in a hardware store (not computers, places that sell dremels, nails and home stuff) i cut my leg with something i still dont remember what was, but i tought i just bumped into it, and it had not done me any harm, but i was bleeding my life out,
something ill always remember was how calmly the lady at the entrance told my dad, "excuse me mister, but your sons arm is bleeding way too much". it started hurting as soon as i saw it was there (isnt life funny?)

i still have the scar.....

ok well i cut off my finger tip with one of my moded fans in doing this i killed my mobo and vid card blood everywhere in my case it sucked *** i wrapped it in paper towels and electrical tape till my mom got home i was all upset cause my comp was destroyed and my mom was all worried about my finger. my finger didnt bother me it was my pinky finger on my right hand so i could play cs without it

Several cuts from case edges
A piece of shattered dremel disc went through web between thrumb and fore finger.
An electrical burn during monitor mod
Burned thumb using lighter on heatshrink
Sliced knuckles during heatsink install (those thin fins are razor sharp)

And of course the best for last:
A broken pinky. On a dare I stuck my hand into a 120mm fan running at 15v

I was dremeling some plastic, when a piece of molten plastic flew off the disc and straight into the corner of my unprotected left eye. It didn't actually hit the eyeball. (good news) I caught it between my eyelids and welded them together. (bad news) It hurt... a little bit. :rolleyes: I've never had a blister on the inside of my eyelid before. Soon after, I got an infection in the wound because I had never gone to the doctor for it.

But I'm OK now, in case anyone is wondering. :)

I don't remember the reason why, but I had opened up a monitor [ Yeah, I was a dumbass at one point in my life :p ] and was poking around with a screwdriver, My arm was numb for like 3 days afterwards...

And more recently, I was removing a harddrive cage when I, without even realizing, sliced my finger down to the bone on a sharp edge. I didn't even realize it! Until I noticed something trickling down my arm, when I looked.. hot damn! Blood every! :eek:

Not exactly a modding injury... but funny none the less.

Last week I was picked to participate in a speed system building competition. It was basically 5 guys with the parts for a completel system- who could put it togeaterh the fastest.

well...
After announcing they used good cases so nobody should get cut, I open the box to find a $20 case rife with sharp edges. Within 2 min I am bleeding profusely.

Literally a puddle of blood on the mobo. There was so much adrenaline (prize was $400) I didnt even feel it. Problem is, the worst cut was on the tip of my finger, so I couldnt hold any screws- they were covered in blood and kept slippng out of my hands. I ended up losing awfully, because I could never hold the srcrews in place from the blood. When I finnaly got the case togeather, it looked like a small animal had been sacrificed on it :eek:
Needless to say, I didnt win- but they gave me a tshirt for having the blodiest computer ever :D

Thats the last time I do a speed building contest.

Back