• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVO or WW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC_n00bie

Registered
Sorry to bring this up cause i know there was a bit of a problem on the last thread. But it is getting close for me to choose on what to get. I have narrowed it down the these two blocks. Now i can get the evo and a northbridge block because i will be running on a 8rda and heard the temps on it get kinda high. Or i can go for the WW and maybe a crystal orb. Later on i plan on adding a block for cool the vid card. I have a danner mag 2 pump if that matters at all and will be running it on a 3/8 tubing.

I would suggest WW and also Eheim 1250 pump...

check www.8rda.com

water cooling the NB is not a bad idea... especially Nforce2 NB is very hot (all the way up to 60c, after that the system will crash)

this isnt an even comparison to make, because only the whitewater has testing supporting it as the best block in production. The evo may be a great block, or it may not be, we wont know unless tests are performed. I would go with the sure thing.

As you can see from the recent poll posted by JML, the opinions on air cooling or water cooling the NB are pretty much split 50-50. My vote has always been for air cooling because the restriction a tiny NB block produces isnt worth it to me when after market air cooling on the NB performs just as well, as in hoots example in that same thread. That said, i would again go with the Whitewater and an aftermarket air cooler on the NB instead of the evo and a NB waterblock.

In the future, the NB may require watercooling, as some of the newest chipsets are creating a whole lot of heat with high overclocks (think nforce2). But that is just an indication of what may be in the future, I do not consider even this to warrant watercooling yet; i would expect aftermarket air cooling to do the trick for me.

dpapag said:
Do you think Cathar has data on the Evo? Perhaps he compared it to his white water himself.

HUH?

Hopefully NeoMoses will send in one of his blocks for testing and put an end to all this bickering. It's starting to remind me of 9700 vs GF FX threads before the FX was send out for testing. People are still arguing about it, but at least there are some numbers out now where people can judge for themselves.

Just for the record, I bought a WW block, and I got it before any test results were posted. I am very happy with how it performs, although I don't go around stating my temps because I'm of the opinion that the numbers are pretty meaningless to anybody else. Also I can't even do before and after temps because when I switched blocks I also had to switch my whole system from 3/8" to 1/2" plus a different fan and a different cpu. So as you can see, there are a lot of variables just within my own setup, so how would the numbers mean anything to anybody else? One thing I can state for a fact is my 1700+ jiuhb will run stable at 2280mhz. Although that is a fact, I'm not sure it means anything about the block as I didn't get a chance to push it before changing over.

Having said all that, you can see I'm not in the market for a block right now. But I would really like to see the results of Neo's block with some numbers that do have meaning (to me and others). Not only would I like to see his, I'd like to see results of all blocks, commercial and DIY ones. Hopefully one day this will happen, not just for the curious minded like myself, but also for the people who can put that info to good use and design better blocks yet.

peace.
unloaded

No there is no testing data on the EVO yet... here is a quote of billa, editted for relevance to this thread, on where that stands:
Originally posted by BillAto ensure the same story is told by all:

NeoMoses did inquire about testing a wb, asking which pump I was using so he could 'set up' his wb appropriately
- I told him to set it where it would be most effective as my test bench would in any case test the wb over a range of flow rates
-- there has been no communication since then
(apart from my blasting NeoMoses' lack of testing knowledge on another thread)

NeoMoses chose to start selling before testing (by me), so in fairness to other mfgrs he must now be considered Commercial
- this was his business decision

geek, yes the testing costs money, money spent that will not improve a wb's performance
but yielding data that will substantiate performance 'claims' and possibly yield increased sales
it is also a business decision related to the commitment one has to the market and to good products

Here are neomoses motivations for not getting it tested yet:
I would love to send BillA one of each of my waterblocks for testing, but since I'm now a 'commercial' waterblock maker, that would cost well over $3500.
As you may know, I make more than just Evos. Between my DB-2, Evo, Z-channel Lightning block, GPU blocks, and chipset blocks, I could easily send Bill 10-15 different blocks to test. And that would be picking my best designs and putting my best foot forward.
Neo has many different models of blocks, and from what he said i guess the commercial cost of testing is around $350 per block.
This has been a very touchy subject, so to PRECLUDE any possible problems, this is what i recommend:
Disregard any disagreement or inappropriate comments on these quote by billa or neo, they are just presented so no one wonders where it stands, that is the most current information... please do not ruin this thread by making it into a ww/evo argument.

It is safe to say Cathar doesnt have any test data on the EVO... even if he did i think he would have the sense not to share it because of the inevitable criticism he would get, not to mention he is very aware of all the knowledge and requirements of accurate testing...

What i can say about both blocks is i haven't seen ANYONE dissatisfied with either block... that really says something, there are few products that every owner on the forum thinks is great. :)

Last edited:
EluSiOn said:
I would suggest WW and also Eheim 1250 pump...

check www.8rda.com

water cooling the NB is not a bad idea... especially Nforce2 NB is very hot (all the way up to 60c, after that the system will crash)

Wasn't that test done with the board overclocked, with the NB heatsink's fan off? With the fan on it only reached 34c. Doesn't that make your statement sound somewhat misleading, seeing as it comes with the fan stock? If you wanna reply to this please do so in the "NB Waterblock-Overkill?" thread, (so we don't hijack this thread).

I.M.O.G. said:
this isnt an even comparison to make, because only the whitewater has testing supporting it as the best block in production. The evo may be a great block, or it may not be, we wont know unless tests are performed. I would go with the sure thing.

OC_noobie, the above statement is all there really is to say about it. Who knows if the evo is better or not, there's no testing to back it up. The whole WW vs Evo debate is pointless. BillA testing the Evo will be the only thing to decide if its truly better or worse.

As far as whether or not you should get a NB waterblock, its my opinion they aren't worth it. Check out the debate-
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166052&perpage=30&pagenumber=1

JML said:

Wasn't that test done with the board overclocked, with the NB heatsink's fan off? With the fan on it only reached 34c. Doesn't that make your statement sound somewhat misleading, seeing as it comes with the fan stock? If you wanna reply to this please do so in the "NB Waterblock-Overkill?" thread, (so we don't hijack this thread).

I did replied in that thread right after your post :D

EluSiOn said:
JML,

just recently suddenly everyone is asking for prove this claim and prove that claim... and I got a bit jumpy....

The test is done when the board's VDD @ 1.85v and FSB @ 200 mhz. I think for 8RDA/+, the bar for high FSB OC is raised to 230+mhz. Many tried to run their VDD @ 1.95v~2.30v (25%~50% increase in voltage), at that time, watercooling the northbridge begin to make sense. However, if you are just running 200mhz FSB @ 1.85vdd, crystal orb or some other form of active cooling could done the job good. (I am really doubtful that a 40mm fan would be noisy)

I agree with you about if the test is able to do temperature comparison at different FSB frequency and also voltage of VDD.

Back