• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Better Radiator? or CPU block?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

K1ll1nT1m3

I have a Koolance 601 case with a Koolance CPU200-g water block. I am using the stock Koolance radiator with the 3 80mm fans all blowing air out of the case. I have 2 80mm's on the back of the case(blowing in), a 92mm on the front(blowing in), a 80 and 92mm in the psu(blowing out). My water temp is 31c load, cpu 51c load(in bios). I have 2 open 5.25 bays under the radiator.

OK, on to the questions. Would a better radiator or cpu block help bring down my cpu temp. Which would be better? What would be better?

Im sure a radiator would be needed in the future. Are there any good ones that will fit with out modding the case too much? (I also could make a 4x8" opening in the front lower part of the case.)

What would be the best cpu block for this? Adapting 3/8 to 1/2" tubing, would have to be. I have to many other blocks. Or would a better pump be a good idea?

Any ideas? I need to shave a few *c off the cpu. Thanks... :D

Excellent question. ;)

What is your room temp again?

i already gave you my opinion, but looking at this now i think i have changed it. :D I would go with a better cpu WB first since your cpu temp is 20 degrees above your water temp. That tells me that your WB is not transfering heat to the water well enough. Others agree?

Yeh, I thought so!!! My hottest case temp (between the psu and radiator) is 25.6c. Another one above the agp is at 26c. My cpu block is at 31 load (2 sensors on the bottom surface, one in a cut out, one on the surface next to the cpu). I have 2 displays for the cpu temps, both the same temps. I am guessing room temp to be around 24c(74*f), or so. I am using Arctic silver 3 on the cpu block.

ive seen that block. it looks a lil naff and its CHEAP ,plastic 1/2 inch adapters are easy enough to find but if you can get your wb in 3/8 its not really worth bothering with them

HELP!!! LOL.
Can anyone tell me why i have a 20c temp difference in my cpu block and my processors thermal sensor? I have got my load temp down to 49c (bios) from 51c now. I have 2 sensors on the bottom of the cpu block reading 30c. Hdd sensor (on block) says 30c. The sensor in the hard drive shows 45c (SiSandra, and some other thing i cant remember). I have Arctic Silver 3 on the block. I have tried Antec silver too. Same temps for both.
AHHH... HELP!!!
LOL THANKS

If you're using a manual temp sensor stick thingy and your water and cpu block temps are within about 1°c, I'd say your cpu block is fine. (You said your probe shows a block temp of 30°c and your water is 31°c under load).

If you invest in a nice big rad or heatercore, you'll notice a much larger improvment that buying an expensive waterblock.

By getting a better rad, you'll inherently make your block perform better. What rad you get depends on space and how much you're willing to pay.

If you're lucky enough to live in the US, buying a nice Heatercore online should be no problem. I couldn't direct you to any sites specifically, but I know they exist and are linked to alot on this forum.

The reason your bios reports high numbers is either because the manufactur adjusted it badly, or due to the fact that the gap under the cpu (where the mobo probe is) gets Alot hotter than the cpu itself since air just gets trapped there with little means of escape. Plus the cpu socket is near the hot mosfets (power thingies) on the mobo which add heat to that whole area.

Basically, ignore your bios and instead rely on your own manual temp stick thingies.

The CPU block is the issue for you, no two ways about it. The BIOS temp, while not really that accurate, is okay for using as a very rough guideline within +/- 10C.

A CPU that's indicating as 20C or so above water temps is definitely on the high side (unless it's being overclocked and over-volted to within an inch of its life).

There are a number of blocks you could purchase which would work well with the rest of your Koolance setup and probably take betwen 5-10C off your CPU's temps depending on the block.

My suggestions are (all with 3/8" fittings) which are more suited to the lowish flow rates that are typical in a Koolance setup:

1) Gemini low-flow Spiral
2) Swiftech MCW-462U
3) NeoMoses' Evolution
4) (my) Little River White Water

Your radiator seems to be doing an adequate job. It's not the best thing, but it's also not the worst. At best, and with a bit of case-modding, switching out the radiator for a higher performing one may drop your water temps by 5C or so (and as a result drop your CPU temps). Switching blocks may drop up to 10C off your CPU temps as noted before.

Ok. I got a Maze3 block now. Still have the sensor 3mm from the cpu. Its taped to block, arctic silver paste between cpu and block. Im getting a 26c idle and 30c load. Water (actully inside the water) is the same. The BIOS shows 46c and 50c. On the old BIOS I get temps in the 20's. I also put 3 80mm panaflows on the radiator. They each move 38cfm.

My cpu is pretty maxed. Its a 2.53 P4 at 2.81g. I think the fsb is 149/38mhz. My voltage is not real high. Im at 1.65vcore. I havent really needed to up the voltage.

Thanks for the advice.

Back