• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Never again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SkiFletch

ok, I have to say that plexi topped waterblocks are crocks of Shxx :mad:

this would now be my third plexi-topped waterblock i've had fail on me in the past year, my gemini chipset spiral block. I decided to say scew it and just marine gooped the entire lid of the block, cause I sadly dont have cash to put out for buying a new one, but these things are garbage. the plexi tops on my geminih high flow cpu block, gemini chipset block, and dd gf4 block have ALL failed within 6 months of purchase due to cracked tops.

No more plexiglass EVER AGAIN :mad:

Could you get replacement tops that are aluminum/copper? I think there are a couple of forum members that might be able to help you create some if DD doesn't have them.

I'm not sure about DD, but Gemini uses Lexan, not Plexiglas. Not that it matters much. A crack is a crack no matter what the material is. It would not be hard to replace the "plastic" top with either a thicker one, which would probably decrease the chance of a crack, or one made from metal for not too much cash.

Hoot

hopefully this post will save some unwitting WC newbies the pain of a cracked plastic top. [drama mode]If it helps even one person, then it's been worth it![/drama mode]

Umm. I bought a used maze-3, and have used it a month or so with no problems. Thing seems sturdy enough to me. If you want plexy that wont crack. They sell 1/8" thick stuff tested to take 5 38 rounds in barrage and not break. I'd say 1/4" of that won't be cracking with 20 lbs of pressure, or whatever pressure your pump can dish out on it. (unless you're running a 2 HP pond pump through the ****er maybe. But then you're just a moron.)

uh oh, i just ordered a plexy toped chipset block from ocpc, theres gotta be somthing i can do to stop the top from cracking? and if it does isn't it due to bad manfacturing and you can claim for damages from the maker?

well, its been out of warranty for a while, so no, I cant really claim for damages. if you want to be safe, just marine goop the bejesus out of the top and that should save you a whole bunch of hassles. I gooped mine up good and it looks to be working. i'll letcha know more tonight

Sorry to see you having problems (and in 3's no less). :(

I've never had a problem with my plexi (okay, lexan) Gemini, nor my homemades before that (plexi from the hardware store). My temps have never been better, and yes, I'm using some major overkill springs on it too.
I'll keep mine, thank-you....

Have a better day, bud!

hoot, thicker stuff isnt gonna fix anything, I know that for sure, I have had some 3/8 stuff crack on me, actually 4 tops at that.... thats 8 holes..... for some reason I think its machine tapped stuff that cracks more, I have made quite a few prototypes out of lexan, lexan because of the ease of machining. so far no problems what so ever... I hand tap mine...

I have seen more and more tops (even lexan) crack. If they are tapped for NPT fittings there is a lot of stress concentrated on very small areas (since the threads create the 'seal') add to that waterwetter, which really freaks out some materials and finally the heat cycles. All together it looks like a recipe for water leakage.
wj

There is some relationship between the diameter of the hole and the thickness of the material. 1/2 inch holes in 1/4 inch material seem to be more succeptable then say a 1/8 inch hole in 1/4 inch material. That is why I mentioned trying a thicker material. Perhaps it takes a minimum 1:1 ratio, like 1/2 inch hole in no thinner than 1/2 inch material, before long term reliability can be assured.

Hoot

Sorry to hear that man!

Lots of people suggest Dangerden, and their blocks look really nice! But after reading on here for a while a bunch of people have said that over time the plexi glass will break. If you want to get another waterblock for your gpu, I found a swiftech one that is copper bottom and anodized aluminum top.

They snap because of the threded holes

think of it this way
if you had a strip of plexi and tryed to snap it it would take some effort. but if you then put a v shaped groove across it (like a thred) its gonna break alot easyer
its the v shape of the thred witch causes alot of stress.

guys, this is GEMINICOOL stuff, not dden he is talking about, and yes dden could have the same problem,
skifletch-- I know peter had some aluminum tops waiting anodization, I dont knwo whatever came of it. maybe talk to neomoses to whip up a aluminum top for ya, I would but I cannot tap 1/8npt holes, I even looked around for a tap and didnt find one,

JFettig said:
guys, this is GEMINICOOL stuff, not dden he is talking about

SkiFletch said:
the plexi tops on my geminih high flow cpu block, gemini chipset block, and dd gf4 block have ALL failed within 6 months of purchase due to cracked tops.

No more plexiglass EVER AGAIN :mad:

I almost bought the DD too... good thing I didn't, definitely not reliable.

Back