• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xeon vs p4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soccrstar

Registered
is there a major difference between xeon and the p4?

like performance wise?

and also i see celeron 2ghz for like 60-80 bucks. isnt celeron cpus same as p4 cept wit 128 or 256k cache?

pip said:
really the xeon does not have that much of a difference except all of them have hyperthreading, celerons aren't very good compared to p4s though

thats not very true at all...

a xeon is better for computing numbers and such..

A P4 is geared towards multi media and stuff...

Although they are similer gen. speaking for your home user a Xeon would be a **** poor CPU

i may be wrong about that but i'm pretty sure...

As for the celerons...they are crap, i saw a 3ghz cel. (overclocked obviously) that benched wayyyyyyy lower then a 2ghz P4 so...yea

timmyqwest said:

a xeon is better for computing numbers and such..

A P4 is geared towards multi media and stuff...

Actually, there is very little difference between a P4 and a P4 Xeon (Prestonia). The Xeon will be slightly faster than the standard P4 at some tasks, but for the most part their performance is quite similar.

The major advantages of the Xeon are just support for SMP, HT on lower speed chips, and some additional system management features.

NookieN said:

Actually, there is very little difference between a P4 and a P4 Xeon (Prestonia). The Xeon will be slightly faster than the standard P4 at some tasks, but for the most part their performance is quite similar.

The major advantages of the Xeon are just support for SMP, HT on lower speed chips, and some additional system management features.
Yep there's little difference between a xeon DP and a desktop P4. There are some differences between a xeon MP and a desktop P4. The P4 celeron is not worth talking about.

Back