• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Passive Radiators

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Taigaa

Registered
Anyone have any experience with passive rads? Any pictures of what you have would be great. I'm thinking of getting one to cover the side of my case. Still trying to find one, anyone know if I can get big rads like that in Canada somewhere? I'm thinking an autowreckers might be my best bet?

I'm running a T-bird 1.4, cooling 2 HDDs also and planning on cooling the power supply soon.

i think all rads are passive, but if you mean a fanless system you can do that, i have built a couple of them, the one i run right now has a p42.0 eng samp @ 3.256ghz (148*22) at 33c while folding and it has a current uptime of 5 days 12 hours 22 minutes.

my water flow is really simple
Pump -> rad1 -> cpu -> nb -> gpu -> rad 2 -> rad 3 -> 1 gallon res - > back to pump

my pump is a ehiem 1250

rads 1 & 2 are 6x7x2 ford truck heater cores, dont know what model sorry i paid about 25 (USD) a few years ago

rad 3 is a large external automatic transmission cooler thats 15x13x1 and it mounts to the outside of my case with out any problems, i have it spaced off about an inch from the case with bolts and nuts with a lock nut on the outside to hold it on tight.

the best place for larger rads are autoparts stores, like napa or autozone, hope this helps ;)

i'm sure you can get big rads... you guys do have cars up there right? not just dog sleds and huskies? ;) heatercore4u.com can help you find what you are looking for and then you can go to an autoparts store and see if they can get ahold of radiators of the make you are looking for. Do you guys have napa or autozone up there?

I have seen other people passively cool their rads, but never with results as cool as dagamore's... i think with anything less than three rads you won't be able to expect temps that cool, especially with overclocking if you plan on it :).

Ya, we have Napa up here, that's where people get the spare parts for their dogsleds, and to watercool the huskies. I'll check there, see if I can find anything that's not too pricey..

Haven't heard of autozone here. Thanks for the replies!

Dagamore, have any pic of your setup? Sounds sweet!

I have a Hayden fin-cool rated for about 10-11,000 BTU/hr. Once the mounting kit gets here I will post the results with no fan on it.

Back