• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Omg My Heart Is Beatin Fast!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bon3thugz43v3r

Listen to this story that toook place 5 minutes ago. ok

So, I am sitting there with my case trying to get this slk-800 heatsink on my A7N8X with my precious 2100 TBRED B under it. I hit the mother board with a screw driver as hard as I could maybe 6 times, then I slice my finger totally open across my heatsink and I got blood on my motherboard, adds a nice effect btw. So then I finally get the heatsink on the socket (wow I have never ever applied so much presure to any heatsink) and mount my tornado on. I press the power button and there is no videosignal but my speaker beeps indicating it passed all the tests. Right when it looked like the monitory was coming on the computer shuts off.:eek: At that point I thought, well, there gos my 2100+. So I try it again after making sure it was touching the diode good. Same thing....:eek: So then, I take off the slk-800 and put back on my Volcano 7+ and it boots fine. The only thing I can really think of is that my C.O.P Protection is shutting off my comp. I made sure it was touching the diode, so I guess I will be putting this heatsink back in the box. Oh also, I didnt use the adhesive pads it came with because I do not know what they are for since my heatsink didnt come with a manual of any kind, so I had to figure this all out on my own.

So thats my craaazy story, hope u enjoyed.:p

Heh yeah those HS installs can be scary if the clips are very stiff. I actually found the slk-800 easier than some I have worked with (global win cak-38 II I think was the hardest clips to get on).

Probably the thing that was making it hard to connect (and also causing heat issues) was that the heatsink was not making full contact. Did you verify that the step in the heatsink lined up properly with the cpu socket's step?

Those pads are not required for installation but they are supposed to protect the chip from damage. I Have seen pics floating around showing where to install them. Basically you just need em in the 4 corners of the HS bottom. The pads on the cpu itself don't make contact due to the narrow bottom of the hs.

yeah, i've done that with a few sk-7's...it had more to do with me not checking the positioning of it tho, and so i figured out i was just being a dumb boner and reinstalled it a little more carefully.

I have a feeling that the heat problem is that the heatsink must be pushed back all the way against the clip that doesn't have the thing for the screwdriver on it. Here is what I do with my SK7 so it should be very simular to your SLK800 put the rear clip on press the slide the heatsink all the way back against the rear clip keep holding it there while you use the screwdriver to clip down the front. The first time I installed my sk7 i thought the sink should be centered rather than against the back and my temps where really high but that process fixed em.

Good Luck
Shawn

I agree with Shill's method....that's what I did with my SLK-800A. I find taking it off to be scarier than installing it!

Blooz1 said:
I agree with Shill's method....that's what I did with my SLK-800A. I find taking it off to be scarier than installing it!

Yeah getting it off is scary, and somehow I feel that if I broke the chip removing the heatsink I would be more mad than I would putting it on for some reason.

Blooz1 said:

yet another reason to go water ;)

just screw it in with ur fingers and ur done

Ahhh omg this is even scarier. Ok I decide to remount it again, I bootup get into bios, and im thinking whos the man!! But wait, Hardware Monitor, 167F !!!!:eek: Cut it off immediatley and remount again. Get into bios, oh yes i did it! But..Hardware Monitor 227F!!!:eek: This time I scared myself to death and I was about to just throw this heatsink away. So I give it one more go, and I here I am sitting at 1.8 volts at 2311 overclock at 95 LOAD!!

Putting sk7 on is easy as hell. I can do it with my bare hands. Getting it off takes a screwdriver. Dunno why so many people have issues with these clips.

Bon3thugz43v3r

Just asking this, but why in the hell would you mount your heatsink, especially the SLK-800, with the mobo in the case? Plain stupidity ? or just being lazy? I mean, taking the time to put a system board together, is one thing, but slapping on a the '800' from within your own case was asking for trouble dude. Maybe next time have your mobo in an open area (workbench/kitchen table) and mount the HS carefully with enough room for you to see eveything up front. Just a suggestion.

RedDawg41 said:
Bon3thugz43v3r

Just asking this, but why in the hell would you mount your heatsink, especially the SLK-800, with the mobo in the case? Plain stupidity ? or just being lazy? I mean, taking the time to put a system board together, is one thing, but slapping on a the '800' from within your own case was asking for trouble dude. Maybe next time have your mobo in an open area (workbench/kitchen table) and mount the HS carefully with enough room for you to see eveything up front. Just a suggestion.
I ahve only installed 3 different kind of heatsinks a vantec, volcano, and a slk800 but i have never taken my d*** motherboard out of the case to do so . And also i will have to say the slk was the easiest!!!

Obviously, this does show where your weakness is on your installation. Try a different approach on installing them HS, and yes, not every manufacturer makes an easy HS to install on the mobo. That's were your experience comes into play and if nothing else, read them forums and ask the questions.

hmmmm ive always taken the mobo out of the case. of course, that didnt stop me from scratching my old soyo mobo with a screwdriver and killing it. :(

RedDawg41 said:
Bon3thugz43v3r

Gotta love those removable motherboard trays ;)

Evnas said:

Gotta love those removable motherboard trays ;)

Agreed. Some people don't think they are that helpful but personally I adore them. So easy to confirm the HS install and so easy to get in there and work.

I don't think the clips on the 800 are TERRIBLY hard to get on but the base of the HS is rather narrow and I found that it was one of the easier heatsinks to not make proper contact with. You just need to confirm the install outside of the case and you shouldn't have issues.

jonspd said:

I ahve only installed 3 different kind of heatsinks a vantec, volcano, and a slk800 but i have never taken my d*** motherboard out of the case to do so . And also i will have to say the slk was the easiest!!!

I agree 100% no need to remove from case. Well I guess what kind of case plays a factor but i've never removed from case to install before except for my 5 minute homemade waterblock experiment but we'll save that for another day. On as far as easyness scale I would say that my glaciator was easiest to install nice little tab for my thumb no need for a Screwdriver I don't see why all heatsink makers don't use this model makes life so much easier.

Shawn

Before I used to remove it when I had a removable tray.. now I've got a chieftec full tower though so I can't remove it without actually removing the whole board from the case..

Really no need to either.. there's plenty of room to work on in my case at least.. but in a smaller case you should really remove it.

i just put a slk-800 while in my case.. it was harder then the old heatsink i used (some coolermaster crap) but it wasnt too bad.. imho the clip just plain sucked though..

and Bon3thugz43v3r .. Bone Thugs kick *** ;)

I didnt remove my MB at all when i installed my SLK-800. It actually went on perfectly the first time. I was suprised considering it took me forever to put on my AX-7 before because the clip was so darn stiff. If your case has enough room to work with then by all means dont take it out if you dont have to. My Chieftec Case is quite large so its pretty easy to install any HS in it.

I've done it both ways. I have a Lian-Li with tthe removable MB tray, which you'd think would make life easy, but the exhaust fan is hardwired to my rheobus!

So, after disconnecting the power cable, main connector to front switches, USB's...I had to remove the exhaust fan to pull the tray out! Luckily, those push connectors used on Lian-Li's makes this a fairly easy task.

The second time I installed it in the case, just to see if it would be possible. I always remove the RAM when working around HS..a freind of mine manged to trash his 512Mb stick once changing a processor.

Back