• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best place for electronic components?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheFrag

Hey, I wanna start trying to build some circuits (very basic) and was wondering what place has the best prices on transistors, resistors; that kind of stuff.
Thnx.

Well Radio shack has decen slection but prices are kinda gay at times...
the best thing to do is go to your local computer store (preeferably large like compusa or wahtever...) or to a grocery store and pick up a copy of the magazine called 'Nuts and Volts' it always has many listings for any imaginable electronic parts, pieces, bits and bulbs. Even scaling to the large stuff. for misc things like cable and switches and some ICs I like allelectronics.com they also carry some tools and such and other odds and ends. hope all this helps. I also got some resources for cables (any kind imaginalble) if you want that too.

www.mouser.com

You need something that can read pdf (acrobat) to see their catalogue and its like a thousand pages. But that's not really a bad thing, is it?

I was thinking radio shack, but their stuff seemed to always be a little expensive and not have a huge selection. I guess I will have to get over there and check it out.

http://mpja.com/MPJA

They have lots of cheap stuff....my favs are

The 172 mm fans (advertised in another thread) and their 25 cent heatsinks....They work great for my mosfets on my mobo, and would be nice videocard heatsinks. I use these because I honestly dont think its worth 15$ for 4 tin coated copper heatsinks.

Also they have a TON of electronic stuff, never really browsed through much more then the led's but Im sure they carry pretty much everything.

Another good site for electronics and cheap 120mm fans
All electronics

Yeah those vga ramsinks are BS. maybe 50cents of copper for $25. My ***.

Which of MPJA's sinks do you use, the flat with slanted fins or the flat with straight fins sticking up in waves like the old 486 and early Pentium sinks? Any modding need to be done to get them to fit the 8rda's mosfets? Why the hell did you change your avatar?

Thanks.

Your other best bet would be to go to your local electronics supplier. They would be better able to help you identify what you need. You'll pay a bit more, but will probably make up for it with the better service.

i am liking allelectronics, but they have 1 resistor.......

I think I will phead down to Radio Shack, see what they have and maybe get some stuff. Otherwise I will buy stuff all over online :cool:

If you're not planning on buying fairly large quantities of stuff, you will pay a lot more for buying one or two pieces at different places online. Let's say you spend $5-10 on some components, then have to pay $5 for shipping. You would have been probably just as well off to buy locally. I'm willing to bet if you check your yellow pages, you can find some electronics suppliers in your city, unless you're in some small town somewhere.

Don't you have a Fry's near you? Fry's have basic parts. Descent prices since you can get it right away.

Actually it wasn't me some new user commented on it and must have deleted the thread, hence the
Holy 10 1/2 year thread awakening
comment. Well a free bump to an old thread now. :p

I know, I saw it... the mods took care of the post (thread is the whole thing), just having some fun with decade and change open threads and the people that LOOK like they did it!! :p

Back