• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silicone tubing wall thickness

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
I *might* be able to get my hands on some silicone 1/2" tubing for cheap, but I wanted to know people's opinions on thin (1/16") vs. thich wall (1/8") silicone tubing. The stuff I found is 1/16, but on McMasterCarrs site it lists it as 5 PSI max. Is that adequate for a regular H2O setup like an Eheim 1048 and the other parts in my sig?

How about flexibility? I think the thin stuff would kink easier but how bad? Not as bad as vinyl probably right?

I'd say stay away from thin walled stuff, it kinks reallly easy.... but if it's really cheap it might be worth a shot, you might have to use some elbows thought to help it around corners

I concur. I've been using 1/8 inch wall silicone tubing since I started water cooling. I have tried and have yet to fine any kind of clear tubing, regardless of wall thickness, or make, that measures up to it in terms of kink resistance.

Hoot

What kind do you use? The firm or soft tubing? There's three kinds on McMasters site. Know of any place cheap to get the 1/8" stuff, or is McMaster one of the cheapest places?

I must confess that I do not know which type it is. I bought it many moons ago from Danger Den, as part of a larger order, at $2.00 per foot.

Hoot

They're still out of stock of it, but it is cheaper than at McMaster's site. Either way the bend radius is stated a little over 5/8" on average, more than adequate.

I have a solution for all you kinkers out there.
use auto-stereo type split loom protector.

Look at my chiller pix!

I tried it and sure enough. If you zip tie it every inch where the tubing needs to make a turn it will stop the tubing from kinking or folding onto itself. I didn't even need to zip tie it in my chiller. I use 1/2 thin walled silicone and find that the stuff you get at radioshack (there are different sizes, colors) works great. Plus you haven't added any restrictions by putting fittings inline.
wj

I've got access to all the split-loom and cable ties I need at work. I may try that on the 3/32 walled Tygon I have. It's been sitting around since a friend sent it to me because it kinks to easily on tight turns. Thanks for the tip

Hoot

Back