• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So far so good

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yomama

Put the system together last night. Really took some time to prepare the mobo (removed NB heatsink (A3(!) :) ), reattached with AS2 and 30mm fan), placed old chipset heatsink on SB, and attached Alpha.

Thanks to the excellent information avalailable here I did not get freaked out by the initial boot error (corsair), but used an old stick of kingmax to boot and set the timings manually - this was a great help thank you ElUsIoN and whoever else posted this !

From there on everything went as planned. The CPU does close to 2400 at 1.75V, and I am stable at 200MHz. (So far burning system in at 2300/200, HOWEVER:

I obviously want more, but it appears that the memory does not like anything more than 200MHz. At 202 and with voltage raised to 2.77 I can get into windows but it's just not stable. Of course I disabled everything possible and reduced CPU multi...

So far the only other culprit may be my P/S which is down to 4.83 on the 5V lead. I'll swap that out as soon as I have more time.

Any additional advice is appreciated. So far I am considering the vdd mod (I only have 1.58V)and possibly to RMA the Corsair for some true 4.5ns chips. What about the bios - mine is from 12/26/02 or so(not sure about revision)?

Thanks for all the good contributions so far - this board and the excellent people posting here sure make it a lot easier to "tame the beast".

Nice job man good luck I would like to see what you come out with hope u can hit 2.5 stable .

P.S. stepping on xp2100 plz

4.83 on the 5V lead

mbm5 reading or actual multimeter reading?
does your psu got pots?
what is your memory timing? corsair can do v2.9 for vdmm but voids warranty. VDD mod definately help and also update to the latest bios 3129.bin

are you running dcddr? corsair xms is not certified to run dcddr mode but it can for some of them. corsair's twinx serie is tested for dcddr. try single stick to see if they are able to perform to their rated frequency (assuming you are using pc3500) 217mhz 7-3-3-2.0 vdmm between 2.5v~2.8v

EluSiOn said:

mbm5 reading or actual multimeter reading?
does your psu got pots?
what is your memory timing? corsair can do v2.9 for vdmm but voids warranty. VDD mod definately help and also update to the latest bios 3129.bin

are you running dcddr? corsair xms is not certified to run dcddr mode but it can for some of them. corsair's twinx serie is tested for dcddr. try single stick to see if they are able to perform to their rated frequency (assuming you are using pc3500) 217mhz 7-3-3-2.0 vdmm between 2.5v~2.8v

MBM readings
There are no pots on this PSU, but I have another one that I will try shortly. (In fact my trusty old Pcpowerandcooling 425 may be dead and has to get rmaed (3 year warranty :) ). That one I was able to adjust to above 5V MBM under load.)
Memory timings are 5-2-2-2.0 at 2.63 no change when I go to 2.77.

I think I am running in DCDDR (slot 1 +3), and the memory is a matched pair. Is there a way to run in single channel mode with slot 1+3?

Finally I guess I will have to flash the bios - lemme see...

Thanks for thev prompt reply

Yo

in order to do dual channel ddr... you will have to use DIMM slot 1 and dimm slot 2/3

to test single channel ddr, you will need to use dimm slot 2 and dimm slot 3

check http://8rda.com/page2_1.htm

8rda_dimm_slots.jpg

He will also need to mod the VDD to go over 202fsb stable at all.

I can run 202fsb, but after about 20 minutes of my AAO game, I lock up.

VDD mod coming soon:D

Go to www.8rda.com for the info on modding for more voltage to your Northbridge.

You are probably right. I am virtually stuck at 200MHz. It runs at that speed using default voltages forever but even 201 or 202 are not stable at all, even with 2.9V on the memory.

Oh well first I'll update the bios - little hope though...

And then I guess I gotta go to the ratshack...

Yo

Dont count on the BIOS to change anything. It has no effect on overlocking stability.

I've tried all bios' and they all perform the same

Unfortunately you are right NFGuy :(. I flashed to the 1/29/03 version to no avail.

I got the ratshack parts for the vdd mod, but the grabbers I got do not fit under the solderpoints (probably too big).

Interestingly enough, even runing in single channel mode I do get to 200MHz exactly, and it appears less stable. I also see now that there is a lot of flickering - when I open new applications the screen goes dark. I am using a geforce 2GTS AGP bus at 66MHz, still - could that have anything to do with it?

Thanks

Yo

Back