• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Girn

Ok heres my system that I bought a year ago. Pentium 4 1.6gig, 256rambus ram, P4E-T asus motherboard. I ran sandra and my average cpu temp is like 35c. Ok now I wanna overclock my cpu to 2 gig. I have no idea how to change fsb and mhz. I went into my bios but didnt find any fsb option. Any help would be appreciated.

i dont have your mb. but theres gotta be a section in the bios to change the fsb speed probably in advanced chipset options or some thing like that. when you find it, just up the fsb in 5 mhz increments till some thing starts to crap out then back offin 1 mhz increments till the system becomes stable. now this is a really abrievated version of overclocking but its a start. as you learn more you can use your memory vcore voltage, and fsb speed to fine tune your system to its maxium stable overclock speed... hope this helps a little bit till u get the overclocking basics down....

When you up the fsp in 5 mhz increments, do you then boot up the system or something? Or just see if the comp dies while in the bios? I have never overclocked but I'm planning to in the future, and if I have to restart every time.. Thats what? A hundred restarts?

Girn said:
Ok heres my system that I bought a year ago. Pentium 4 1.6gig, 256rambus ram, P4E-T asus motherboard. I ran sandra and my average cpu temp is like 35c. Ok now I wanna overclock my cpu to 2 gig. I have no idea how to change fsb and mhz. I went into my bios but didnt find any fsb option. Any help would be appreciated.

Well i've got just the same system setup expet my cpu is a 1.8 but that doesn't really matter.When you go into your bios , head for the advanced menu and then first thing you see there is the cpu internal frequency.Then you just have to put it on "manual" and you'll be able to adjust the fsb speed just underneath it.
That should help you out for now ;)

Ok the max fsb I can do is 110>118, after I have done that, how do I change the mhz higher on the cpu.

Girn said:
Ok the max fsb I can do is 110>118, after I have done that, how do I change the mhz higher on the cpu.
I have 2 ASUS boards (not yours) and they are pretty much the same. Your FSB should go far beyond 118. As for the speed increase, you multiply your multiplier x the FSB. For example, I have a P4 1.6A (16x multiplier) and a 1.8A (18x multiplier). So, at 140FSB on my 1.8A, my speed is 2520MHz or 2.52GHz.

What you need to do is start at a "safe" level. Try 120FSB. Does it boot? Reboot, go into the BIOS and up the FSB to 125. Reboot. Does it boot? Keep going up until you hit its FSB ceiling on the stock voltage. Then you can start tweaking voltage. My experience with P4s and ASUS boards is that I can usually squeeze a little more speed by cranking up the voltage, but not much. I usually try to cap out at 1.675V or so, because you can usually hit the FSB ceiling around there.

BTW, do you have a 1.6A? It should go up to 135FSB+.

When the FSB increments go up, can you scroll past the 118? It seems odd that the board (BIOS) would stop there. Is the problem that the chip will not boot beyond 118FSB? Or is it that the board BIOS will not give you the option to try to boot above 118 FSB?

BTW, are you planning to upgrade or keep the existing chip? Here's a recent success story: I recently built a system for my neighbor. He is getting 2.7GHz from a P4 1.8A (Asus P4S533), torture test stable and runs cool with stock air cooling (quiet too).

Back