• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you Vmod the 9700 pro with grabbers or do they need to be soldered?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't see why you cannot use grabbers to make the VMod's.

Well, you know I did the solder trick ;-) and it works great!

What I do think is that there aren't really that small of a grabbers for such small SMD's around anywhere.
Goo luck in finding them!

I found a great GPU article with SMD grabbers, but am having a hard time finding a quality walk through for the mem Vmod.

Even if the walk though doesn't use a grabber I'm sure I could use on. I just need to find a decent walk though.

freshy98 is the pin you soldered for the mem mod under the metal plate on the back side of the card?

Thanks!

If anybody is reading this, I just got a soldering kit from radio shack and its instructions stink.

I need to heat up the wire and potentiometer at the soldering points, but when and how do I introduce the solder.

Do I just use the tool by wrapping the sloder around it and touching the tip of the iron with a bit of solder until it melts and drips onto the points I want soldered?

^^^This is why I'm using grabbers on the actual card:D

hmm, somehow I didn't get any e-mails about new posts here...

anyways, all the soldering is to be done on the back side of the card. nothing on the front.

second, try to get solder which has the pasta in the core of the solder wire. I hope you get the idea ;-)
when you use pasta you first must use the pasta on the component that you wish to solder and then the solder it self.
don't do this!!!! it takes a lot of explaining but trust me on this please!

use the combination I mentioned. solder and pasta combination.
you should be able to get this at radio shack I think. (don't have radio shack here in holland, but I believe it's a electronics hobby shop?

with that you can start.

first, heat up your iron and put a very little piece of solder on it. (when the iron is hot, touch it with the solder untill it melts)
second, clean the iron with an old t-shirt (I use t-shirts to clean my iron) make sure it's cotton!!!! or it will burn ;-)
third, put the solder on the pin (not using the iron yet) and then gently put the iron on it too. (read: put the iron and the solder together on the pin) just put a very little drop of solder on the pin.
fourth, have your wire that is connected to the resistor soldered (meaning that there is a little bit of solder on the wires).
[color]fifth[/color], align the wire on the pin (above the soldered pin) and use the iron the melt the wire in the solder that is on the pin.

btw: the wire to be used between the pin and the resistor should be a 12V wire (in holland it's called low current wire I think) and be sure that is is multi wire like in speaker wire. that's the best to be used.

I hope this helpes you out a bit ;-)

Yeah nit does, thanks:)

I'm going to use grabers as I'm not daring enough to solder the card, but this will help me solder the wires and the Vresistor.

The instructions on the soldering iron I got simply stunk.

Thanks.

ps yeah Radio Shack is like a mini electronics store (TVs/stereo/computer equiptment) with all the resistors/pots and other good junk to mod/make your own electronics.

Back